Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to the site, need help in order of agenda!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the site, need help in order of agenda!

Hello all!

I'm new to the site, and I'm full of questions. I've been posting this around different boards so that I can get as much info as I can. This may be a bit lengthy, so I apologize in advance.

First, a bit of background.

I have an '89 Camaro RS 305 TBI that I've had since around 1999. It's my second F-body Camaro, my first was an '84 F41 that was stolen and completely stripped back in the '90s. As for this '89, from the history I got when I bought it, it has never had an engine re-build but had been maintained really well. I kept up the general maintenance, so the engine runs strong, however, I do have a lifter that taps for a few minutes upon starting but eventually it quiets out completely. It had been sitting unused for about 3 years when I recently re-legalized it and myself after some screw-ups at the DMV that had me not driving for a while. As for getting the car right again, I can do a lot of things myself, I'm rather mechanically inclined, but some things I will have to 'outsource'.

I've begun a restoration, of sorts, and I've been working on suspension upgrades. The bushings are totally gone in the rear on one side of the sway bar so I decided to just get a new one and purchased the Spohn 1" with end-links and bushings since, as I understand it, the stock swaybar can be flexed out of shape after a while. I also got an adjustable panhard bar to go with it. I also bought some new springs from Eibach (factory rear, 1.5" Lowered front) but I'm reconsidering lowering the front. I have new struts in front and new shocks in the rear already.

After that I was planning on getting some SFCs and decided on the UMI (http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/pr...onnectors.html) since they look like the strongest and easiest to install. I'm not overly-concerned with weight, but I've been reading around in the SFC comparison thread here and they're not so heavy that it bothers me. I just want a solid car when I'm done.

Once I've finished with the rear suspension I'll be upgrading the front in the same manner, basically replacing everything I can with new parts. It'll be slow but worth it in the end.

As I mentioned earlier, I do have a tapping lifter and I'd like to get an upper rebuild done, but I also have a parasitic drain in my electrical system somewhere and I can't find it. Also, my heater core is gone and the AC condenser is kaput.

I'm not too concerned about the ac, however, connecting/disconnecting the battery every morning and evening is starting to annoy me. I want it fixed, but I'm going to have to use an auto electrician since I have no good working knowledge of auto electric. I work at an auto-parts company so I have connections to electricians and parts. Costs shouldn't be too much other than getting the rebuild on the top-end.

My main question is this: what order should I go about this? Should I get the AC fixed and then call my electrician and then get the top-end rebuild? Or, should I get the electrician first, then the top-end, then the ac? I'm thinking everything hinges on the electrical, but then he may not be able to complete his part of the job without proper ac connections or some such situation.

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Sorry for this thread guys, you can delete it if you want. I got my answer over on thirdgen.org. Thanks anyway.

Comment

Working...
    X