WTB front shocks.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTB front shocks.

Stock or aftermarket I don't care. Casey's post just made me want my car lowered. I have had the springs for over a year, and I want to put them on. I tried but the nut on top of my shocks is rusted off so I can't take it off.

Stock or aftermarket, name a price. Pics if you can get them would be sweet. Thanks.
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

I had a heck of a time getting the nut off of my shocks. My neighbor took some WD40 and an impact gun and after about 30 minutes they came off. I had to rethread the shock and put new nuts on them but that wasn't all that bad.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

The nut was rusted to where it was like a circle. I couldn't even get a wrench on it. And threading the shock is impossible, it's too rusted if I remember right. I took it to a guy to see if he could do anything and he said no, and even if he could get it off cleanly, I wouldn't be able to get a nut back on there, and a weld wouldn't hold. He suggested I buy new shocks.

Lucky Georgia driver Up in MI Rust owns everything.
      97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
        The nut was rusted to where it was like a circle. I couldn't even get a wrench on it. And threading the shock is impossible, it's too rusted if I remember right. I took it to a guy to see if he could do anything and he said no, and even if he could get it off cleanly, I wouldn't be able to get a nut back on there, and a weld wouldn't hold. He suggested I buy new shocks.

Lucky Georgia driver Up in MI Rust owns everything.
        Oh mine were rusted to where they looked round too. I took a wire wheel and knocked enough off the nut so I could jam a socket on it. It took a while to get the nut off. Loosen then tighten the squirt WD40 then loosen then tighten then squirt WD40 over and over until it finally came off. I was surprised it came off. I didn't think it would but my neighbor has seen more of this kind of stuff and felt a lot more confident that it would come off. Once the nut came off what was below the nut was not rusted. I'm not sure what the threads or the nuts were but a 3/8"-16 die will thread it nicely. Then all that is needed is a couple of nuts. Welding was not needed. The right front nut was sitting in water. My car is older than yours too. The nuts looked like they were on the Titanic at the bottom of the ocean for the last 80 years. I've never seen anything rusted that bad before. GM should have used some stainless nuts there.

Funny thing is I had an extra pair of rear shocks but no front shock. That's my luck.
        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

That's very interesting. I should try that. Because my front shocks are still good, I would hate to replace them and I really don't want to blow the extra cash... Hmmm.. As long as the rod piece on the shock is fine, I should be all right, right? I think I'm going to give it a shot. Thanks a ton Jeff.

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
            That's very interesting. I should try that. Because my front shocks are still good, I would hate to replace them and I really don't want to blow the extra cash... Hmmm.. As long as the rod piece on the shock is fine, I should be all right, right? I think I'm going to give it a shot. Thanks a ton Jeff.
            Just have the 3/8"-16 die, die handle, 2 3/8"-16 nuts on hand before you start. Oh you'll need some way to hold the shock when you thread it. A bench vise worked fine. The worst that would happen is you'd have to get new shocks which is what you were thinking anyway. Remember you'll have to get the old shocks off of the upper shock mount anyway or you'd have to buy a new upper shock mount, upper A arm mount, upper A arm, and that biscuit piece. Another note is the left front required a torx on mine to get 2 of the 4 bolts off. The right side used 2 regular bolts along with the 2 15mm nuts. Weird. I had to take the master cylinder off to get to those 2 torx bolts too.

Comment

Good info Jeff, thanks a lot man.

Yeah, I remember that part about the torx. Not sure why they did that. I pulled the shocks last year so I remember the procedure.

I'm going to do it this weekend. Like you said, the worst I can do is mess up the shock and have to buy new ones which I was going to do anyway.

Comment

So, the '94 Z that I have has got front SHOCKS not struts? I had assumed that it had struts, like everything else that's newer.

Is there a thread somewhere that I can access? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X