Tail light wiring

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tail light wiring

Anybody an expert on tail light wiring on Z28's??. I purchased a new set of tail light covers recently that would have made the blinker light not be the light closest to the side but the next light over from the side of the car. I wanted the blinker lights to be the outermost lights, closest to the sides of the car, and to have the next light over from the side be a brake light. To do this, I figured all I needed to do was to cut the cords to the blinker light and the brake light, switch the lights to where I wanted them both to be, and solder them to their new wires. Before I cut the wires, both lights worked. After cutting them, I tried reattaching the blinker light to the former brake cord set, and it wouldnt work. Then I figured maybe both lights need to be attached for some reason so I attached the brake light to the former blinker light wires, and it worked, but the blinker light still wouldnt work. So I then tried to just switch them back to how it was before I cut anything, and now neither light works, nor does my reverse light anymore. No fuses for the lights were blown as that was my only clue as to what might have happened so I made sure to check that. I verified that the blinker light itself still lights by putting it in the other tailight blinker and it worked still. I am thoroughly vexed on this one. Ill probably just have to take it in to a Chevy mechanic because I am clueless as to what the problem was with what I did. Heres a word diagram to help visualize the new tail light cover look, both how it would be without switching lights and how I want it to be:
    What it would be without switching lights looking at the left rear side of the car
    [Red Brake] [Red Blinker] [White Reverse] [Red DRL]

vs.

How I want it to be
    [Red blinker] [Red brake] [White Reverse] [Red DRL]

Thanks for any ideas.

try this

first thing double check your soldering and connections . if those are good , try switching the bulbs to new locations. some bulbs have 2 filaments for blinkers if that doesnt work double check all fuses again it never hurts thats all i can think of for now good luck
    Bone stock (for now) '94 Z28, automatic, 135,000 miles, still running strong

Comment

Did you ever find out what your problem was? If so what was the repair?

I am trying to fix up this nightmare of a care of mine and while trying to repair the hack wiring job someone did on the rear of this POS, I ran into the same problem 2 days before I need to take it in for state inspection.

Comment

Working...
      X