Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help...driver's window stuck in the down position

I need a little help....

On the way home today, I had the driver's window down(electric). When I got home it let up only about half way and the switch started smoking. I think the switch must be bad, but I suppose the motor could be bad again?? I just replaced it about 5 months ago. If the switch is bad, is there a way to bypass it to get the window back up? Is there a way to test if the motor or switch is bad? Thanks in advance.

Jody
    1994 Trans Am GT, LT1, M6, Hurst Shifter, Leather, Eagle Wheels, Flowmaster cat back, !CAGS, 160 stat, Best ET 13.73@100 -- Updated mods: SLP CAI, SLP clutch kit, Nitto tires, Lou's short stick, SLP leather knob

it sounds like the switch. i dont think there to expsensive. try that first and if its not that then i would think its the motor.
    1996 Trans Am WS6

A4, 3" VForce Catback, Corvette C6 rims, Slotted and Drilled Rotors, 160*stat, BMR SFC, HPP3, B&M Shift Kit.

Comment

Kinda unrelated but this past Sunday I tried to roll my window up and it went about 3 inches then stopped. I waited a moment and pushed it up again and got another inch before it stopped. I would wait about 10 seconds and then be able to coax an inch or so out of the motor after each pause. However ever since the window goes up and down like normal. Crossed wire or just a finicky motor?
      1996 Z28

2000 C5

1995 Eagle Talon Tsi

1994 Suburban 1500

Comment

Originally posted by Copernicus
        Kinda unrelated but this past Sunday I tried to roll my window up and it went about 3 inches then stopped. I waited a moment and pushed it up again and got another inch before it stopped. I would wait about 10 seconds and then be able to coax an inch or so out of the motor after each pause. However ever since the window goes up and down like normal. Crossed wire or just a finicky motor?
        Motor is going out...

Originally posted by jodyg
        On the way home today, I had the driver's window down(electric). When I got home it let up only about half way and the switch started smoking. I think the switch must be bad, but I suppose the motor could be bad again?? I just replaced it about 5 months ago. If the switch is bad, is there a way to bypass it to get the window back up? Is there a way to test if the motor or switch is bad? Thanks in advance.
        not sure if it'll work but as a temp issue to just get your window up, see if you can't us the switch on the passenger side. the connector on the bottom side might be different.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
        Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
        B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
        Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
        Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

yeh i jsut replaced the pass side motor. it would go up, and then stop, theni would have to wait 10 min and then try again. but now its all better.
          1996 Trans Am WS6

A4, 3" VForce Catback, Corvette C6 rims, Slotted and Drilled Rotors, 160*stat, BMR SFC, HPP3, B&M Shift Kit.

Comment

Originally posted by jodyg
            I need a little help....

Jody
            I know the problem. The brushes are going bad in your window lift motor. A new one at advance auto parts will be $44.94, and comes with a lifetime replacement warranty ; they keep them in stock. There's no real serial numbers you need to remember and the year of the car doesn't matter, GM never really changed the design, and the same motor will work on either sidedoor. The trick is replacing it. There's a spring loaded mechanism in the door with enough tension on it for you to lose a finger, repair manuals advice you to have the job done by someone who's done it before. A temporary fix is that sometimes opening and slaming shut your car door should get the brushes working enough to roll up the window, this will only work so many times.

To test the switch:
            It is held in by tabs. When you remove it simply use a voltmeter on the connections, while the key is turned to accessories, and look at the meter as you use the up and down on the power window switch. If there is activity then the switch is good.

If you want to know more, i can post the testing and repairing procedures for you this afternoon. I hope this helps.
            1982 Trans am w/ t-tops
            V8 5.0L 305 H out of an '86 Caprice
            previous owners abused it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick_82
              I know the problem. The brushes are going bad in your window lift motor. A new one at advance auto parts will be $44.94, and comes with a lifetime replacement warranty ; they keep them in stock. There's no real serial numbers you need to remember and the year of the car doesn't matter, GM never really changed the design, and the same motor will work on either sidedoor. The trick is replacing it. There's a spring loaded mechanism in the door with enough tension on it for you to lose a finger, repair manuals advice you to have the job done by someone who's done it before. A temporary fix is that sometimes opening and slaming shut your car door should get the brushes working enough to roll up the window, this will only work so many times.

To test the switch:
              It is held in by tabs. When you remove it simply use a voltmeter on the connections, while the key is turned to accessories, and look at the meter as you use the up and down on the power window switch. If there is activity then the switch is good.

If you want to know more, i can post the testing and repairing procedures for you this afternoon. I hope this helps.
              Would a bad motor cause the switch to smoke? That sounds more like a bad switch. And, by the way, if the drivers side switch is unplugged or broken the passenger side switch won't work. The circuit would be open due to the failed/missing switch.
              Tracy
              2002 C5 M6 Convertible
              1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
              Current Mods:
              SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

I replaced my switch only $15 , give it a try before you go ripping the motor out.
                1993 TA SOLD

-------------------------------------------
                "Unless It's Fatal, It's No Big Deal"

Comment

Thanks guys. I really hope it's just the switch...I ordered a new one today for $15.99. It will be here after lunch tomorrow and I'll post again to let you know if that works.
                  1994 Trans Am GT, LT1, M6, Hurst Shifter, Leather, Eagle Wheels, Flowmaster cat back, !CAGS, 160 stat, Best ET 13.73@100 -- Updated mods: SLP CAI, SLP clutch kit, Nitto tires, Lou's short stick, SLP leather knob

Comment

It was the switch.

Comment

Alright !
                      1993 TA SOLD

-------------------------------------------
                      "Unless It's Fatal, It's No Big Deal"

Comment

i dont know if you would want to, but it wouldn't take much to convert power windows to manual.
                        1982 Trans am w/ t-tops
                        V8 5.0L 305 H out of an '86 Caprice
                        previous owners abused it!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X