Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could I possibly have 3.73s????

raro, the gear calculator is here: www.f-body.org/gears/

I was talking with raro last night on AIM when he said he hits 50 mph in 1st gear in his car. That puzzled me, because we both have M6s and 3.42 rears... but I rev a couple hundred RPMs higher, and I shift at 45 mph.

So, I found that gearing calculator site, used a 98 f-body M6 as my reference... 275/40/17 tires... and used a 3.42 rear with a 6000 RPM redline.

Max speed in each gear was:

50, 75, 103, 134, 181, 268...

Keeping everything the same, I used a 3.73. Max speed in each gear was:

46, 69, 94, 123, 166, 246...

I realize 46-50 mph discrepancy is splittng hairs and maybe the speedo just isn't quite keeping up... BUT... I am 100% positive I don't stretch 2nd gear past 70 mph... and i am 100,000% sure that I don't stretch 3rd gear over 100 mph. In every case, the 3.73 seems to be a dead-on description of how my car behaves on the street.

Now... I bought my car "brand new", completely stock, off a dealer lot, never titled. There were 137 miles on the clock when I drove it off the lot...

What do you all think about this? If this was in fact modified and sold to me as new, where do I go from here? And is there ANY chance I may have gotten a 3.73 from the factory???
    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Have you tried to clock it at a high (numerically low) ratio? i.e. Hold it at 80 mph in 5th or 6th then compare the RPM with what the calc says.
    My friend's 30th Anniv. Z has 3.73s...I thought he had 4.10s because it seemed "dead on" to the calculator, but with a bit of tach & speedo error, and a not clocking at a high gear, it took awhile to figure it was 3.73s.
    94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Not likely that they came from the factory, since it was not an optional set for these cars.
      Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Hey Jay... Try this, it might help. I found this on another forum and I thought it was interesting. Might give you the answer you are looking for.

Mark the driveshaft with a very small piece of tape or a stripe of paint, just as you would a timing mark on a harmonic balancer. Then, turn the wheel (or axle shaft if the tire is off) one full turn, counting the number of times the marking reaches the twelve o'clock position.

If the driveshaft turns:
        The gearing is:

2 3/4 times = 2.73

3 times = 3.08

3 1/4 times = 3.27

3 1/2 times = 3.55

3 3/4 times = 3.73

4 times = 4.10

4 1/2 times = 4.56

Hope this helps bro...

Got any plans for your 23rd???

Later
        86 Firebird, Just a lowly 6 banger, sold
        Plans for an '02 WS6 are in the mix for 2008 (after I'm out of the army)

Comment

Hey birthday boy, get on AIM tonight!

Comment

no chance of 3:73 from the factory.. at all... those gears are not even close to that assembly line. that car does not meet CAFE without the 3:42's, which is what its certified to. That would be a healthy fine for GM if they delivered that car from the factory with those. They wouldnt even let thier Tier 1 suppliers do that as an option.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
            Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
            sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

6100 47 70 96 125 169 250

those are my numbers and i do have 3.73s.Based on that calculator, my speed is about 3 mph off in each case, except for the 125 and above since ive never taken it above 115 before. but that isn't a factory option, so i dont see why you would have them in your car, you probably have some speed error, although you numbers are quite close to mine

Comment

46/50 = .92
                3.42/3.73=.91
                46-50 mph (diff of 4 mph) is all the difference it takes for the two different gears. You have a 3.42 gear.

Comment

if you have a stock rear end, call a GM dealer and they will be able to tell you what ratio you've got by code in glove box also if you have locking rear differential or not the code is G80 for a locker
                  Bone stock (for now) '94 Z28, automatic, 135,000 miles, still running strong

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
                    46/50 = .92
                    3.42/3.73=.91
                    46-50 mph (diff of 4 mph) is all the difference it takes for the two different gears. You have a 3.42 gear.

Yeah, i know that's a small difference... that's why I mentioned that in 3rd gear, I AM POSITIVE that I shift before I hit 100 mph.
                    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Comment

Well, went to test it out today. Once I hit 4k rpm my car lost tons of power, nose dipped down, like it had slight hesitation to keep revving. Looks like my optispark is crapping out or something. Glad I found it now, I'll put a new one on with the cam.
                      97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
                        Well, went to test it out today. Once I hit 4k rpm my car lost tons of power, nose dipped down, like it had slight hesitation to keep revving. Looks like my optispark is crapping out or something. Glad I found it now, I'll put a new one on with the cam.

Went to test what? The cam? Boss, you ain't gonna have nothin' if you put in a cam and don't tune it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
                          Went to test what? The cam? Boss, you ain't gonna have nothin' if you put in a cam and don't tune it.
                          LOL, No, not the cam man. Test my top speed in first gear. I'm assuming it's optispark, I'll have to test it. I'm taking that cam back anyway for a diff. one.
                          97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Working...
                          X