94 Rearend ???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 94 Rearend ???

hey everybody. Im looking into replacing, or rebuilding my rearend in my 94 LT1 firebird. It has a 97 model TA rearend, i believe,(thats what the previous owner said at least.) It is grouling pretty bad when you take corners, it has done it for a long time, bout 8 months. I drained fluid, and replaced with Lucas Diff. Fluid, which they claimed is fine for posi's, and topped off with rearend fluid which also claimed on bottle, good for limited slips. Well, It seems like it got louder now, after bout 90 miles.

Any ideas, If not that expensive, what kinda money am i looking forward to spend to rebuild, or whats a good price to look forward to at a salvage yard.

Thanks

drain the fluid, re install some mobil 1 gear oil at the specified weight, then get two bottles of the GM differential additive from you local dealer and install both bottles. most of these rears growl on corners if you dont use that gm additive.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Odd, the guy I bought my car said I had 4.10s, wrong, my option code says 3.23s.

I hate people who just start adding stuff to make it sound more impressive than it is.

Good think the paint and interior were how they where.
      Michael Key
      Virginia's F-Body Enthusiast Community - NEW AND IMPROVED!!!

HR3rdGen.org

Comment

You need to determine what is causing the noise. If its the gears, they need to be replaced. If its a bearing, might be relatively minor. How does the limited slip work? Does it lay down two black stripes or one when you break the tires loose?
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I dont want to butt in, but ,limited slip will lay down a right side black mark then stop, then a left side mark , and back and forth until the rear gains traction it sounds to me that some teeth are wore down in the axle a little (or alot)
          Bone stock (for now) '94 Z28, automatic, 135,000 miles, still running strong

Comment

Originally posted by smokinstangs
            I dont want to butt in, but ,limited slip will lay down a right side black mark then stop, then a left side mark , and back and forth until the rear gains traction it sounds to me that some teeth are wore down in the axle a little (or alot)

if this is what yours does, then you need to replace it.
            2000 WS6 T/A M6. Monster stage 3 clutch, flowmaster cat back, 4.10's, SLP lid, Hurst shifter.
            1996 Mustang GT 5 speed STOCK DD
            past rides:
            1996 Mustang GTS bright tangerine orange
            2003 Mach 1 azure blue drag car (10.90@118 record holder for fastest N/A mach)
            1969 Mach 1 house of colors candy apple red393 stroker 100 shot (10.829@125 in street trim)
            2003 Mach 1 Torched red FRPP aluminator/vortech 666RWHP
            2008 Mustang GT JDM stroker long block, Saleen 2.3 twin screw
            1980 Mustang L 13.7: 418 stroker
            1994 Z28 A4 rebuilt from wreck
            1994 Z28 A4 totaled

Comment

Dude, you need to fix yours, I have have had several firechickens and a mustang, and has ever done that! Only thing they ever do is leave nice twin black stripes on the pavement

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
              Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
              6.2L/382.97 ci
              Custom PROM Dyno tuned
              WCT-5 speed
              BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
              Boss MS 18" Rims
              Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
              Custom Dual exhaust
              1LE upgrade
              Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
              In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

you guys SURE you dont have locking Diffs????????
                Bone stock (for now) '94 Z28, automatic, 135,000 miles, still running strong

Comment

my formula has the standard L S D axle and it used to lay 11,s when i nailed it now i can only draw 1,s but a lsd should spin both wheels atthe same time
                  http://www.pontiacdriversclub.co.uk/ keeping it pontiac in the the uk. 93 formula a4 ZR1 rims
                  C A I , B M R torque arm lower arms panhard rod and sub frame conectors borla adjustble with Q T P valve and no cat WHAT NEXT ?

big burn out movie nats 2003 burn out contest
                  mirror burn out movie top ten burn outs

Comment

you guys SURE you dont have locking Diffs????????
                    The first Positraction limited slip differential I had came as one of only 3 options (AM radio, 300HP/327ci engine, Posi) on my brand new 1963 Impala. Subsequent units in my 1966 GTO 389 Tri-Power, 1968 Firbird 350, 1973 Gran Prix 455 HO, etc....... all the way up to my 94 Formula - you get the picture. And I never saw a posi work the way you described.

Currently running an Eaton HD (14-disk) posi, and it will lay down two very dark strips of rubber from the instant you hit the throttle, until you finally let up.

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

quote"Currently running an Eaton HD (14-disk) posi, and it will lay down two very dark strips of rubber from the instant you hit the throttle, until you finally let up."
                      would one of thesefit my 93 formula i need somyhing tuff
                      http://www.pontiacdriversclub.co.uk/ keeping it pontiac in the the uk. 93 formula a4 ZR1 rims
                      C A I , B M R torque arm lower arms panhard rod and sub frame conectors borla adjustble with Q T P valve and no cat WHAT NEXT ?

Comment

I am running an Eaton HD limited slip (posi) in my 12 bolt and it will light both tires at the same time for as long as i want. Thats what a limited slip does. The clutches in the diff keep both axles locked together until they meet enough resistance between the two axles, like when youre going around a corner. When turning, the two wheels want to spin at different rates, so the clutches will drag as the axles become disengaged from one another.
                        96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
                        11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Originally posted by bigtow
                          quote"Currently running an Eaton HD (14-disk) posi, and it will lay down two very dark strips of rubber from the instant you hit the throttle, until you finally let up."
                          would one of thesefit my 93 formula i need somyhing tuff
                          No.... won't fit in the stock 10-bolt rear. The one in the picture is from my Strange 12-bolt. Normally, you don't get that view of it, but Strange forgot to machine the ABS reluctor ring into the carrier on the assembled unit they shipped to me, so they had to send me a new carrier.

A posi that "grips" intermittently might be a sign of a failing clutch pack, or possibly a failure to use the GM "limited slip additive". In the "old days" (when Ken was a young lad.... ) GM recommended two different lubricants for the standard and "posi" rears. There used to be a metal tag under the fill plug that reminided you it was a limited slip and needed special lubricant. I guess they decided to use the same lube in all diff's, and then have the "LSD" additive for the posi's.
                          Fred

Comment

which eaton part would i need for my car fred and are they bullit proof seeing as i killed my standerd posi in under 10k ?

Comment

this is exactly how all my ricer friends think an LSD works, only because there front wheel drives torque steer and as they correct when burning out, this is what happens.
                              2000 WS6 T/A M6. Monster stage 3 clutch, flowmaster cat back, 4.10's, SLP lid, Hurst shifter.
                              1996 Mustang GT 5 speed STOCK DD
                              past rides:
                              1996 Mustang GTS bright tangerine orange
                              2003 Mach 1 azure blue drag car (10.90@118 record holder for fastest N/A mach)
                              1969 Mach 1 house of colors candy apple red393 stroker 100 shot (10.829@125 in street trim)
                              2003 Mach 1 Torched red FRPP aluminator/vortech 666RWHP
                              2008 Mustang GT JDM stroker long block, Saleen 2.3 twin screw
                              1980 Mustang L 13.7: 418 stroker
                              1994 Z28 A4 rebuilt from wreck
                              1994 Z28 A4 totaled

Comment

Working...
                              X