Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• descreening maf

is it had to descreen the maf?

i wanna do these so called "free mods." does anyone have a list of them. or maybe i could try searching for them?
    1996 Trans Am WS6

A4, 3" VForce Catback, Corvette C6 rims, Slotted and Drilled Rotors, 160*stat, BMR SFC, HPP3, B&M Shift Kit.

Originally posted by redws6
    is it had to descreen the maf?

i wanna do these so called "free mods." does anyone have a list of them. or maybe i could try searching for them?
    Leave the MAF screen alone... in fact, leave the entire MAF alone. There is nothing to be gained. It is a precision instrument that can be damaged, or have its calibration screwed up by diddling around with it. The "good" custom tuners HATE altered MAF's, because they are unpredictable. One guy that used to post here (Bryan) was able to correlate a 2.5 MPG loss to removal of the screen.

The best "free mod" is the throttle body coolant bypass. 6HP. Many of the others are of questionable value.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

thanks buddy.
      1996 Trans Am WS6

A4, 3" VForce Catback, Corvette C6 rims, Slotted and Drilled Rotors, 160*stat, BMR SFC, HPP3, B&M Shift Kit.

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
        Leave the MAF screen alone... in fact, leave the entire MAF alone. There is nothing to be gained. It is a precision instrument that can be damaged, or have its calibration screwed up by diddling around with it. The "good" custom tuners HATE altered MAF's, because they are unpredictable. One guy that used to post here (Bryan) was able to correlate a 2.5 MPG loss to removal of the screen.

The best "free mod" is the throttle body coolant bypass. 6HP. Many of the others are of questionable value.
        If it ends up costing HP, then it's not really free, is it?

I agree. Better to leave it alone, unless you have a lot of time on your hands and the willingness/ability/knowledge to repeatedly rework PCM tables until you can get the results you desire.
        Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Have you tried cutting out your water baffles?

Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

what he said......

granted, i felt a diff at wot when i went with mallory's billet aluminum maf ends..no screen..but the idle was rough...it missed that smooth even air flow.. and gain?...not really......

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
            Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
            sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Taso

have you ? and how is the result ?
              2001 Trans Am WS6 M6
              SLP: short throw|short shifter|CAI|MAF|TB ByPass
              Spohn: SFC|Tunnel Brace|LCA|Swaybars|LCA bracket|Shock Tower Brace|Nitto NT555 Extreme Performance|Pacesetter LT|TrueDual|1-chamber Flowmaster|DLA224/224Cam|Comp Cams 918 Springs|ported oil pump|timing chain|PRC LS6 heads|LS7 lifters|Fast Intake 90mm|NW TB 90mm|Thermostat 160|NGK TR 55|RacetronicFP|429/404 hp/tq|tuned by George Haddad motorsports
              http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/690385

Comment

Originally posted by 1sickbird
                have you ?
                Pop your hood and examin it by looking it straight down thru the nostrils as it shows in my pic. Now compare yours to mine.

Originally posted by 1sickbird
                how is the result ?
                I wouldn't know if there is a performance increase since I've never been in another ram air with water baffles before, but I assume there is. At least I feel it.
                Hercules

Comment

arent they called water baffels for a reason?
                  1996 Trans Am WS6

Comment

I wouldn't know if there is a performance increase since I've never been in another ram air with water baffles before, but I assume there is. At least I feel it.
                    Every little bit helps:

Yes.

I wouldn't run mine on the street in its current condition. Just towing the car to the track I've found water laying in the air filter. I think it would be the same driving it on the street, except the water gets sucked through the filter when the engine is running, and you don't realize the water is getting through. When I tow it now, I put a heavy foam rubber plug in the scoop.
                    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I got my hood off my brother's '97 Formula back in '99 before he sold it for a '91 ZR-1. The first thing he did when he ordered it from SLP was have the shop cut the water baffles out before they painted and installed it. I've had no problems with it, but sometimes when it rains there's occasional water build up in front of the air box, but never actually in the filter.
                      Hercules

Comment

Just towing the car to the track I've found water laying in the air filter.

That's one big cut lol
                        Hercules

Comment

i wonder if the result same with or close to ram air H.O hood.and btw it look like pain in the neck to do it.
                          2001 Trans Am WS6 M6
                          SLP: short throw|short shifter|CAI|MAF|TB ByPass
                          Spohn: SFC|Tunnel Brace|LCA|Swaybars|LCA bracket|Shock Tower Brace|Nitto NT555 Extreme Performance|Pacesetter LT|TrueDual|1-chamber Flowmaster|DLA224/224Cam|Comp Cams 918 Springs|ported oil pump|timing chain|PRC LS6 heads|LS7 lifters|Fast Intake 90mm|NW TB 90mm|Thermostat 160|NGK TR 55|RacetronicFP|429/404 hp/tq|tuned by George Haddad motorsports
                          http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/690385

Comment

Working...
                          X