sludge!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sludge!!!

I hate Dex-COOL!!! Why does it sludge up??? I know there are posts on this already...but does anyone know why it sludges up???

I took my cap off just to see the level and condition of the coolant...brown gookie sludge!!! I change the coolant every 30K because of the build up I get, will going to the green stuff be okay? Every other company seems to use it...and I'm sure they have aluminum parts too.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

The best coolant to use is deisel coolant IMO. does the same job with out shugars in the coolant (in case you blow a head gasket no carbon scoring) plus it never builds up sludge. I have used it for years in my third gen firebirds with no problems. I figure if it good enough for an 18 wheeler with 900,000 km on the original engine then its probably ok for my car. Plus its all we ever have around the shop

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
    Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
    6.2L/382.97 ci
    Custom PROM Dyno tuned
    WCT-5 speed
    BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
    Boss MS 18" Rims
    Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
    Custom Dual exhaust
    1LE upgrade
    Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
    In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

Use distilled water instead of regular tap water and you'll get better results.

Comment

If you do a Google search on "Dex Cool" you will find a wealth of information out there. Personally, I never had a problem with it in my Camaro. In your case though, I would have the system totally flushed and switch to the green stuff. Since GM still uses the Dex Cool in all their brand new cars, I believe it is probably OK and whatever has caused the problems in the past has been remedied. From the postings I saw on the internet though, I'm sure many would dispute that.
        Dave S
        2000 Black Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
          Use distilled water instead of regular tap water and you'll get better results.
          Bingo. Most people don't know this. They use their regular water and wonder why their radiator goes to crap.
          97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Distilled water definitely helps. But the main reason that people develop sludge with dex-cool is because of an improper mixture ratio. You have to have at least a 50-50 mixture of dex-cool and water. A little heavy on the dex-cool doesn't hurt, but having too much water with the dex-cool will actually cause electrolysis to occur within the radiator and cause the "sludging" you described.

The new Prestone "yellow" is supposed to be OK for all coolant systems.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
              Distilled water definitely helps. But the main reason that people develop sludge with dex-cool is because of an improper mixture ratio. You have to have at least a 50-50 mixture of dex-cool and water. A little heavy on the dex-cool doesn't hurt, but having too much water with the dex-cool will actually cause electrolysis to occur within the radiator and cause the "sludging" you described.

The new Prestone "yellow" is supposed to be OK for all coolant systems.
              Hmmm...I'm pretty anal when it comes with this stuff...but I'ma do a good flush and be extra anal. Thanks guys..

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
              Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
              B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
              Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
              Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Originally posted by LimTeng99TransAm
                Hmmm...I'm pretty anal when it comes with this stuff...but I'ma do a good flush and be extra anal. Thanks guys..
                hmm car colnics now then is it
                http://www.pontiacdriversclub.co.uk/ keeping it pontiac in the the uk. 93 formula a4 ZR1 rims
                C A I , B M R torque arm lower arms panhard rod and sub frame conectors borla adjustble with Q T P valve and no cat WHAT NEXT ?

big burn out movie nats 2003 burn out contest
                mirror burn out movie top ten burn outs

Comment

Working...
                X