This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech Forum Seperate?

Many people have requested a seperate forum within the site to keep the tech stuff in a tech section and general chat/news in it's own.. This format works well for other forums.. whadda ya?

Should we have a technical forum seperate from chat? Should I break the forums up a bit?

Thats a great question. IMHO, until the forum gets so big that daily posts are run into the back page, I would leave the catagories combined. That way, we all get a chance to read the newest posts without jumping around. Also, avoids repeated threads. My vote...keep it together for now, you can always split it up later.

Glenn AKA Hooker

Comment

I think its a good idea, it helps in searching for common questions/answers

KnightFire
      1993 Formula Firebird
      Check Homepage for mods and photos...

KnightFire's Lair

Amsoil Dealer

Comment

I think so.

Having it separate does work very well in other boards like this one. I don't think it's a "have to right now" thing but eventually when things get more full...
        NBM '02 Z, SLP Lid, Corsa Cat-Back
        (SOLD 07/03/2004)

Comment

No, I don't think it's necessary yet. I've seen other boards introduce specialized forums before they had enough traffic and all it does is water down the boards....ends up looking like a ghost town. I think one of the reasons this board is still around is because it hasn't done that yet.

Maybe if the posting picks up and messages are getting dropped off the first page in the same day they are posted.
          Joe K.
          '11 BMW 328i
          '10 Matrix S AWD
          Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

I don't think it needs to be separated yet. Give the new format a little time and we'll see if it gets difficult to read the tech posts from the other stuff.
            69 Z28 with JL8 factory 4 wheel disc brakes, crossram, transistor ignition, radio delete, heater delete - being restored
            70 SS 396 L78 documented, #'s matching
            2000 SS Camaro daily beater

Comment

There are pros and cons to splitting it up. If it were to be broken up, I would camp out on the tech and never go to any of the other sections. That is what I do when I go to the y-body or Impala SS forums. I enjoy browsing over what is said, if something catches my interest I will read it. Oh, the comment about a post being lost is extremely valid. Occasionally, I need to go to the DodgeTalk forum to ask a question about my fiancee's Chrysler. Since it is broken to pieces, I seldom get a response, and when I do, it is days later. I also miss the discussion thread format of the old board, but I understand why it was changed. Whatever is done, it will still be a good forum!
              '77 K5 rock-crawler project
              '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
              '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
              '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
              '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
              My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
              Thomas Jefferson

Comment

As long as we dont get to having several dozen pages a day having the 2 combined works IMHO.It's a good refresher and will give people other things to think about

Comment

I think it's good like this for now. But, if it gets too crowded in the future it will have to be thought about.
                  '94 Formula M6, XE224/230 w/1.6 RR's, hardened pushrods, Comp R lifters, SLP ceramic coated shorties, Random Tech cat., Flowmaster cat-back, CSI water pump, vented opti, PCM tuning by Spraytheway, BMR k-member, SFC's, DSL, LCA's & brackets, adj. PHR
                  339 RWHP, 341 RWTQ
                  '00 S-10 ZR2

Comment

The result..

The only way we would make an immediate change would have been if there there was a 75% or more majority vote to do so. Since it's 6-8 early on.. lets go ahead and leave things as is, as we will approach this subject again in a few months.

This topic will now be closed.

- J.R.

Comment

Working...
                    X