How to install the balancer hub?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to install the balancer hub?

I'm looking at a balancer hub for a LT1 and dont understand how to install it in the proper position.

I used the search feature and found instructions to put the #1 cylinder at TDC and the install the hub with the arrow at 12:00.

The problem is that I dont see an arrow on it. What gives? It has a hole in it on one side, but no arrow.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

On the hub, there is no arrow, but you should see a line cast into it that is for the same purpose.
    Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Ok, I've got the hub in my hand right now, but dont see anything I would call a definite line cast into it.
      It has 3 fingers protruding from it, each with a bolt hole in it. There is a different casting irregularity between each of them. Here are pictures.

Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Yours is a little different than mine, but the top pic, with that little hump looks like what I am talking about. Look inside the hub and see if the shadow line of where the crank key would be, matches up to that hump in the 12 o'clock position (crank at #1 TDC).

The hub spokes are not symmetrical and I am pretty sure that the ones where the distance is widest between them is where the mark should be for indexing it straight up.

Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Ok, I used a marker and extended the mark from the keyway around the outside of the snout. This is how it sits in the cam gear. It ended up that one of the casting marks lines up perfectly with the dot on the gear. I drew a black line on the mark to highlight it. It looks right to me!

Tracy
          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
          Current Mods:

Comment

That's looking right to me.

Comment

Tracy, Thunder Racing makes a crankshaft hub with a keyway. I would highly reccomend using one of those since the stock LT1 crank already has a keyway itself. Reinstalling a hub with just an impact wrench wil usually be OK, but why not do it right and not trust a simple press-on fit for reliability. There is a short and long version of the crank hub. You will need the long one.

Another thing is that on an LT1, there is no harmonic balancer, just a crankshaft dampner. So the position of the cranshaft hub is important due to the casting chracteristics, but the relative position of the actual dampner pulley is irrelevant.

Keyed is the way to go.

http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...vid=4&pcid=239

Comment

Thanks for the pointer Kevin. i'll make sure I get one of those. Sucks I spent time cleaning this one up.
                Tracy
                2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                Current Mods:

Comment

Working...
                X