NFB - 16:9 widescreen or no?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFB - 16:9 widescreen or no?

Hey guys - maybe a stupid question but I cannot take it anymore! I bought a 47" HDTV widescreen TV with all of the trimmings. I also bought a progressive scan DVD player. Am I supposed to buy "Widescreen" DVDs or normal DVDs? On a widescreen DVD there are still black bars on the top and the bottom. I thought the widescreen TV was supposed to take care of this. I have had the TV for about 18 months now and have tried every "zoom mode" I can find and still the black bars are there. I know this should not be this difficult.
    Silver 02 WS-6, 6 speed, Corsa cat-back, SLP lid, K&N filter, BMR STB, !CAGs, Lou's short stick, MSD wires, MTI "Hammer" cam, ASP underdrive pulley, Hooker LTs, Hooker ORY, Comp 918s, TR pushrods, UMI Sfcs, UMI LCAs, NGK TR55s, Hotchkis springs

Dyno'd 4/24: 330.9 RWHP/ 344.8 RWTQ (Before cam, headers, and pulley)

Dyno'd 5/1: 383.5 RWHP / 380.5 RWTQ (393 actual RWHP)

Go to the setup menu on the dvd player and change the aspect ratio to 16:9.

'87 Camaro - 2.8L MPFI, 700R4 swapped to T5, B&M Ripper Shifter, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, CATCO high flow cat, K&N air filters, 180 degree thermostat w/200-180 fan switch, 3.42 rear end, Global West steering brace, polyurethane bushings/trans mount, Spohn adjustable torque arm.
    '88 Formula (stolen), '96 Camaro RS, (sold), '91 Firebird (sold),
    Bruce, μολων λαβέ

Comment

You should buy widescreen DVDs...

However...

Widescreen DVD movies are actually "letterbox" which is a little wider than 16:9. You will still have black bars at the top and bottom of the screens, unless you use the TV's "zoom" feature.
      Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

On a 16:9 aspect ratio, the only formats that show without black bars (In true form) are 1.78 and 1.85. 2.35 and other widescreen ratios have to be zoomed or stretched to fill the bars. There are so many formats, it is unbelieveable. However, many companies are optimizing for use on 16:9 tvs.
        LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

Thanks - I did set up the DVD player correctly - however since I ran it to the TV with the component video cables and it is a progressive scan DVD player I can no longer use the TVs zoom feature - I could with my old standard DVD player. The DVD player has a zoom feature but even on its smallest zoom it is too much.
          Silver 02 WS-6, 6 speed, Corsa cat-back, SLP lid, K&N filter, BMR STB, !CAGs, Lou's short stick, MSD wires, MTI "Hammer" cam, ASP underdrive pulley, Hooker LTs, Hooker ORY, Comp 918s, TR pushrods, UMI Sfcs, UMI LCAs, NGK TR55s, Hotchkis springs

Dyno'd 4/24: 330.9 RWHP/ 344.8 RWTQ (Before cam, headers, and pulley)

Dyno'd 5/1: 383.5 RWHP / 380.5 RWTQ (393 actual RWHP)

Comment

I got a big Hitachi TV last spring and had the same problem with the DVD and cable inputs so I got Dishnetwork's HD tuner and ran the DVD player, VCR and cable through it to the TV. So the tuner sorted it out for me.

You can try this link: http://www.vmcsatellite.com/?aid=151664

They have a freebie offer
            The Old Guy! '94 z-28, m-6, t-tops, go-fast red, 316k. Now with '96 engine w/ Lt-4 hot cam, roller rockers, heavy duty timing chain, and Spec stage 2 clutch.

Comment

Working...
            X