restoring floor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• restoring floor

Is there an inexpensive way to treat or restore rusted floor panels? I'm on a budget so cost is important. My 82 t/a is a t top and over the years of previous ownership the floor panels have seen a lot of water. There seems top be a lot coming from the back hatch!?! As soon as i treat the weatherstripping, i want to do something about the floor. I would appreciate any help.
    1982 Trans am w/ t-tops
    V8 5.0L 305 H out of an '86 Caprice
    previous owners abused it!!!

Originally posted by Maverick_82
    Is there an inexpensive way to treat or restore rusted floor panels? I'm on a budget so cost is important. My 82 t/a is a t top and over the years of previous ownership the floor panels have seen a lot of water. There seems top be a lot coming from the back hatch!?! As soon as i treat the weatherstripping, i want to do something about the floor. I would appreciate any help.
    Check out products from Eastwood. http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?i...ORY&itemID=372
    Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

theirs that "por15" paint that u can paint over rust and it stops it completly
      1967 Camaro "Project"
      1972 Chevelle "454"
      1979 Trans Am "Project Ls-1"

Comment

Originally posted by RocKin1967
        theirs that "por15" paint that u can paint over rust and it stops it completly
        There is also OSPHO, maybe OSPHOS, or chemprime. You paint those on and it supposedly chemically reacts with rust to de-oxidise it back to metal. May be the same stuff as por15. I want to buy some of that for my car's floorboards

2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V

PROJECT: Firebird '68 Firebird Convertible // 455 Engine // 389 Tri-Power Intake // 4 Speed Manual Trans

Comment

The Eastwood product I linked to is supposed to be better than POR 15.
          Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Oooo ACE harware sells Ospho. I don't have my brake conversion kit yet, so I think I'll pick up some Ospho and paint my floorboards with it this weekend It may not be the best, but a coworker that has restored 3 classics and an old jeep swears by it and he hasn't led me wrong yet. Then I can put in a carpet and seat belts

PROJECT: Firebird '68 Firebird Convertible // 455 Engine // 389 Tri-Power Intake // 4 Speed Manual Trans

Comment

I know about por15 and all that, but a single por15 floorpan kit is $120. That's relatively cheap when you think of the cost of replacing the entire floorpan, but I'm currently enrolled in college and my workstudy biweekly paycheck amounts to around $110 after taxes and a por15 kit comes to $120 before shipping. I've almost completely convinced myself to get some the por15 kit. Do you agree or perfer a better deal?

Also, i have some rust spots on the exterior body and i can't afford to fix them all. Do you perfer any other solutions that you can treat rust with out body work? I'll post more detailed pictures later.

I appreciate any help, thanks.

A single floorpan por15 kit contains:

MARINE-CLEAN™ Metal cleaner
              METAL-READY™ Metal Prep
              Power Mesh Fabric
              POR-15® Silver
              POR-15® Black
              EPOXY PUTTY
              CHASSISCOAT BLACK™
              POR-15 SOLVENT®
              All brushes needed (4)
              Safety face mask
              Latex gloves
              Dispensing scoop
              Detailed instructions

The picture below shows, encircled in red, the areas where rusting has begun.
              Attached Files
              1982 Trans am w/ t-tops

Comment

Bought a gallon of OSPHO for $20 from Ace hardware. Its good to cover 600 sq ft, I should have bought the smaller bottle. Also, its a treatment, not a paint and it is the consistancy of water. Just paint it on with a paintbrush and let it dry. When it dries it will turn the rust and bare metal black and non-reactive and will be ready for priming.

Comment

i really like the sound of that OSPHO. i'll into it so more, thx everyone.
                  1982 Trans am w/ t-tops

Comment

Working...
                  X