Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggested Mods when LS1 is out of car...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggested Mods when LS1 is out of car...

Hey guys,
    Ive been going back & fourth with this. My car is due for a new engine. The little 305 just cant hang with my speed needs. I have been debating on either a low mile LS1 or a custom built 355/383. I have pretty much decided to go with the LS1. I will have close to the same power with all of the driveability & comfort of a new stock engine. Plus I can always do mods ot the LS1 to get more power. Before I put the motor into the car, I was thinking of what mods I should do when the motor is out. The only big thing I can think of is a cam swap. Anything else you guys can think of?
    No F-Body right now

Make a 382 LS1? Cam, heads... you name it. You may as well do headers too.

Cam suggestion: G5X3 from LG Motorsports
    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Ho much do you want to spend?

Comment

Not too much. Mabey 1k?

I was already counting on getting headers. They are not included in the 1K
        No F-Body right now

Comment

Dumb question but do you have all of the elctronics to make a LS1 run? Computer, harness, 4 O2 sensors, etc etc? Oh and I'm pretty sure an LS1 will not bolt to a 700R4 tranny.
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Mark B
            Not too much. Mabey 1k?

I was already counting on getting headers. They are not included in the 1K
            That's just barely enough to do the cam swap. If you get a 2000 or older model LS1, you will need to upgrade the oil pump. There was a factory flaw in the pump those years. Supposedly GM corrected the problem in the pump in 2001, but if it were me, I would still upgrade to a better ported oil pump regardless since you are already there.

Figure in a new valve spring kit as well, and if it were me you might as well spring for a better timing set with the new cam. It is not neccesary, but just a good idea.

Check out Thunder Racing, LG Motorsports, or Combination Motorsports. They have pretty good deals on complatet cam swap kits.

Comment

I will get all of the accessories, ECM, harness, etc. I also will be getting a complete T56 with it!!!! Cant wait!!!
              No F-Body right now

Comment

go carb... lol
                1967 Camaro "Project"
                1972 Chevelle "454"
                1979 Trans Am "Project Ls-1"

Comment

If you don't mind me asking how much was the engine and components?

Comment

Doesn't the 3rd gen. cross member need some fabrication, I beleive there was power steering pump clearance issue, it has been done though and it looked clean.
                    1993 TA SOLD

-------------------------------------------
                    "Unless It's Fatal, It's No Big Deal"

Comment

A 50k mile setup goes for $4000-$4500 on E-bay. Luckily one of the places that sells them is local to me, so I can save shipping. The Alternator & A/C Compressor hits the frame rail. The alternator is an easy fix, but the Compressor takes a little fabrication.
                      No F-Body right now

Comment

Working...
                      X