convert to t tops

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• convert to t tops

I just registered on this site but I have been looking at it for a while. I am debating on doing the t top conversion. I don't have much experience with body work. I notice that a lot of people say that the cars are already set up for t tops once you get the roof off and do all the cutting. My ? is with my 94 z28 is it set up also because the dealer told me that they didn't make t tops yet with a six speed. I am also really hesitant because if I mess up I don't wanna pay a shop to do it. Could anyone also give me a list of some of the f body junkyards I have read about?

thanks,
    Luke

1994 z28 6 speed C5 corvette wheels 39k miles

I did it a few years ago on my 94 Formula. Not that bad of a job, but I have done a fair amount of bodywork over the years. Check out my webshots pictures. http://community.webshots.com/user/ggj1028 I also referenced a site by a old member here. www.dw-zone.com. Go to his old formula page and at the bottem he did a very detailed write up on it. T-top install. I bought all my parts off e-bay as a kit. Dave also references a few junk yards that sell the conversion kits.

Good Luck.... I love em...
    2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
    1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
    2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
    2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
    2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

Can you help me out with this list of things I would need. . . .
      1. T tops obviously
      2. Center bar
      3. Headliner
      4. Holders for the trunk
      5. ?

Comment

ebay

Also right now there is a shell on ebay right now of a camaro that has t tops. For 250 the guy will sell it to me and for another 100 I can have the t tops. Would it be easier to remove the entire roof section from the doors up and weld it on mine?

Thanks,
        Luke

ps sorry I am just tryin to figure this all out before I buy any parts

Comment

You'll need the t-tops, the mounting brackets, the weather stripping, the center bar, the t-top pillar covers and the plastic covers at the back of the tops and a new headliner. No way would it be easier to weld a new roof on... You could buy it and use it for reference...

Good Luck..
          2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
          2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
          2013 GMC Sierra (mine)

Comment

?

I have found two guys . . . one has everything I need off of his 93 camaro and wants 400 and the other guy has everything but the liner off of his 95 bird and only wants 250 . . .my ? is would everything fit from the bird or no?

Comment

I'm almost 100% sure that it will all interchange.
              2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
              2013 GMC Sierra (mine)

Comment

thanks

Thanks Gary I really appreciate all your help.

Comment

The A-pillar covers are different between the Camaro and the Firebird.
                  Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

What is the "center bar" piece you say you need? The center bar is already on your car under the current roof. All F-body coupes were built with it. Just remove the roof panel and expose it.

Once you remove the roof skin, you cut out the bar over each door and do a little body work to make an edge for the weatherstripping to fit. The center bar requires no work, just fasten the weather striping to it.
                    Tracy
                    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                    Current Mods:
                    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

There is a "T" bar that goes on top of the structural bar that already exists. The "T" bar is what the inside edge of the T-top slides under to hold it on the car. Its finished in a gloss black, so it matches the dark glass in the T-tops.

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                        There is a "T" bar that goes on top of the structural bar that already exists. The "T" bar is what the inside edge of the T-top slides under to hold it on the car. Its finished in a gloss black, so it matches the dark glass in the T-tops.

OH, That T-bar. I see now, I should had figured that out.
                        Tracy
                        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                        Current Mods:
                        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Working...
                        X