Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NFB..Whos good at Physics?.. Question Inside...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFB..Whos good at Physics?.. Question Inside...

Hey everyone,
    We are having a big debate here at work. Lets say that you weigh 100 pounds. And you eat 5 pounds of food/drink. Do you weigh 105 pounds... Or some other amount?

The same would go for "waste." If weigh 100 pounds, and your body gets rid of 5 pounds of "waste." Do you weigh 95 pounds?

I think you do. But a few people here disagree with me.

Any thoughts...
    No F-Body right now

Of course you would weigh the sum/difference of your starting weight and the amount you consume/discharge. This would be in the short term. Over the course of the day, some of the energy contained in the food would be converted to heat and burned off.

Comment

I always wondered that myself...

Take for example our cars...say it weighs 3500lbs on a the scale, but if you remove 200lbs will it weigh 3300lbs or will the it be different. For some reason, when they remove a certain amount of weight and weigh the car, it isn't what it suppose to be...I never gave it much thought.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
      Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
      B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
      Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
      Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

I completely agree. The gravitational pull on the turd doesnt change when its inside of you. I know im right, I just need to prove it to them. They seem to be dead set that I am wrong.
        No F-Body right now

Comment

Well, if you want to get anally technical, if you weigh 200 lbs and eat 5 lbs of food, you probably won't weigh 205 lbs. If you stand on a scale and it reads 200 lbs, then you get off and place the food on the scale (no plate) and it reads 5 lbs, then when you eat it, it'll be further from the center of the earth and will weigh 4.9999999992342566 lbs.

When you get off of the scale though, you'll weight 200.00000000234532 lbs, but when you get back on you'll go back down to 200 + weight of the food.

There is also the question of burning energy while eating, and the food drying out while eating, and you exhaling moist air if it is a dry day, or if you're sweating while you're eating.....

In general though, tell them to shut the hell up and ignore them because they just want attention.

2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V

PROJECT: Firebird '68 Firebird Convertible // 455 Engine // 389 Tri-Power Intake // 4 Speed Manual Trans

Comment

Mark, you are completely right.

If you weigh 200 lbs, and you quickly eat 5 lbs worth of food and step on a scale, you'll weigh 205 lbs.

Good luck eating 5 lbs of food though!!!
            Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

5lbs of food is a lot but imagine the bear that passes that 5 lbs out!!! Going to need one hell of a leaf to clean up after that one.
              95 Beater Bird
              97 Grand Prix GTP
              03 VW Jetta

"The problem is not in looking stock, but in being stock"

Comment

Well, your example is not so simple when it comes to the human body's internal workings. You start to digest food immediately. When you are done consuming 5lb of food, which you could not do all at once, some amount of it has already been digested and converted into fuel, fat and waste. This is extremely hard to measure, and would be an anatomy probelm more than physics. It depends on how healthy you are, when you ate last, etc. The point is, you have not added 5lb of static mass to a static mass, so basic addition fails, from a physics perspective.

-Paul

WickedLT1's Home on the Web - Wicked Pictures
                95 - Trans Am - LT1 - 6Speed
                Car Status: Hmm, winter projects coming up...

Comment

It should be close though. If I eat 2 pounds of food, Im not going to burn up 1/2 pound before I finish eating. Mabey a few ounces.
                  No F-Body right now

Comment

Here's another one that will get ya thinkin....

Which is the best way to remain as dry as possible....
                    running or walking in the rain?

Think about it, they tested it actually on tv
                    black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Originally posted by 95TransAm
                      Here's another one that will get ya thinkin....

Which is the best way to remain as dry as possible....
                      running or walking in the rain?

Walking with an umbrella.
                      Tracy
                      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                      Current Mods:
                      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
                        Walking with an umbrella.
                        LOL...smart()()
                        black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Ive always ran.
                          No F-Body right now

Comment

Originally posted by 95TransAm
                            And the guys that tested it, in my opinion, don't explore most things enough to make a call.

2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V

PROJECT: Firebird '68 Firebird Convertible // 455 Engine // 389 Tri-Power Intake // 4 Speed Manual Trans

Comment

so what is it walking or running lol
                              1997 Camaro Z28 Pacesetter Long tubes, ORY-Pipe, Accel 30# Injectors, MSD Cap & Rotor, MSD Super Conductor Wires, NGK Irdium TR55IV Plugs, and Borla Catback. Madtuner Tune, SLP High/Low fan switch, NGK o2 sensors

New Longblock at 110,947 and everything above.

Comment

Working...
                              X