Cheap horsepower upgrade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap horsepower upgrade

I was thinking of getting a speed chip 20hp good or bad idea???
    andy suggestion looking for 20 to 30hp boost under 200 bucks easy to install
    1995 z28

The last time I checked, you could only get chips for 93. You have to reprogram ur stock chip. Somebody correct me if i'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by kipperz28
      I was thinking of getting a speed chip 20hp good or bad idea???
      andy suggestion looking for 20 to 30hp boost under 200 bucks easy to install
      1995 z28
      ill sell you my hypertech power programmer III for a 1995 Z28, that says it gives around 20 hp.

Comment

Originally posted by 96z28
        The last time I checked, you could only get chips for 93. You have to reprogram ur stock chip. Somebody correct me if i'm wrong.
        Bingo. You'd have to get a programmer or get someone to flash it for you. If you're lookin' for cheap hp upgrades, look at a good CAI and this...

http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...00&BIG=22100-1

Couple those with a good cat-back and you're easily over a 20 hp gain.
        Steve
        79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
        87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
        93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
        http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

If you want a guaranteed 15HP gain, send you PCM to one of the mail-order tuners line pcmforless.com, MadZ28 or Ed Wright/Fast Chips. You will not get that kind of a gain out of any plug-in programmer, and the mail-order tune will cost you less.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I wouldn't waste my money on a flow booster. The gains are not noticable and it's expensive. If you really want to scoop the air into the throttle body, your can make one yourself for a lot cheaper. I would get a free flowing air filtration system instead. K&N makes a nice cool air induction kit, it's easy to install and you will likely feel the boost in hp. Most of the reprograms will claim about a 10% boost, in ideal conditions, I have never heard of that much gain from anyone that has done it.(I may be wrong) If your car is mostly stock you probably won't get a whole lot of bang for $200. You might just save and wait then throw on a nice catback exhaust system and the air filter at the same time...you will definantly feel the gains then.

Comment

Anyone have a list of those "Free Mods" for F-bodies?
              Darrin C
              '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
              07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

Well, there is the throttle body coolant bypass. Its pretty easy and frees up some power. Check it out...

http://ws6.com/mod-8.htm

Its fairly easy to do too. You'll need a small piece of hard line you can use as a splice and a towel to keep coolant from getting on the Opti. Just disconnect both hoses and put them on the splice. Just make 10000000% sure they are tight and will not come loose or allow coolant to leak. After that, simply plug the ports on the throttle body and you're done. If there's anything I've forgotten, I'm sure someone else will chime in and fill the gaps.
                Steve

Comment

Why did GM decide to route coolant through the throttle body anyway?? What purpose does it serve?
                  Darrin C
                  '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
                  07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

I believe it is for severly cold temperatures. It warms up the TB so that frost will not build up...or something to that sense.
                    94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

If your looking for cheap or free look at the links on Brent Franker's site.

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/

Brent has a bunch of cheap mods and links to a whole lot more.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve93Z
                        Well, there is the throttle body coolant bypass. Its pretty easy and frees up some power. Check it out...

http://ws6.com/mod-8.htm

Its fairly easy to do too. You'll need a small piece of hard line you can use as a splice and a towel to keep coolant from getting on the Opti. Just disconnect both hoses and put them on the splice. Just make 10000000% sure they are tight and will not come loose or allow coolant to leak. After that, simply plug the ports on the throttle body and you're done. If there's anything I've forgotten, I'm sure someone else will chime in and fill the gaps.
                        Only 1993/94 models need a 3/8" barbed hose connector to connect the two TB hoses together.

On 95-97 models, you remove the little rubber elbow from the passenger side connection/metal tube from back of heads and discard it. Pull the hose off the driver's side TB connection, and connect that hose to the point on the metal tube from the back of the heads where the rubber elbow used to connect. No connector required.
                        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                          Only 1993/94 models need a 3/8" barbed hose connector to connect the two TB hoses together.

On 95-97 models, you remove the little rubber elbow from the passenger side connection/metal tube from back of heads and discard it. Pull the hose off the driver's side TB connection, and connect that hose to the point on the metal tube from the back of the heads where the rubber elbow used to connect. No connector required.
                          As I said, someone would correct where I was wrong. Thanks Fred . As always, you da man. I didn't know there was a difference on the 95-97s. Almost like someone at GM wanted to make it easier for owners to do this mod. Hmmmmm
                          Steve

Comment

Working...
                          X