No announcement yet.

Racing Stories

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, enough. First off, show me one person here who hasn't raced his or her car on the street. I guarantee you will do it too if you haven't already. Second off, if you are that displeased with the amount of help you have received on the forum, I suggest you ask for more help. Doing a search for all threads started by you, only 1 was made for asking help on your Firebird. If you want more help, then ask. If you're upset about not getting help from threads that others started, then start your own and ask your questions. If you don't like "street racing" to begin with, why did you post? Drag racing at the strip was never mentioned nor specified. All that was asked was if we had any racing stories to share, which is what we were doing. As for us being hypocrits for street racing, street racing is what gave us the racing organizations we have today. NASCAR, NHRA and every other organization would not be around if people did not see the need for a safe yet fun way to race. Do I think street racing is safe today? No. Do I condone it? No. Do I do it? On occasion, yes. Does this make me guilty? Yes. Am I a hypocrit? Who are you to judge? As for my driving skills, I fail to see how you are in a position to question how well I drive. As for the maturity of the people on this forum, look to yourself before you look to us. We have done nothing but try and help you and congratulate you on your progress with the Firebird. I even tried to drop this so that others could post their stories and the thread could continue on. However, I will not sit by and be berated and demeaned by someone who has done nothing but put others down in this thread. If you don't agree with it, that's your opinion. That does not give you the right to think you are better than others, for that is the tone you are giving. Have a good night.

[/rant]
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
      "INCOMING" LOL.
      rotflmao That's funny man
      Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve93Z
        rotflmao That's funny man
        Yeah, it was impressive. I could swear that when it hit bumps in the road I could glimpse light between the tires and the road! Like it was just skipping along!
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
          Yeah, it was impressive. I could swear that when it hit bumps in the road I could glimpse light between the tires and the road! Like it was just skipping along!
          If I was in that car, I would've been a couple pounds lighter at each bump lol. I mean, geeze lol. I get freaked if I cruise over 80, let alone 180 lol
          Steve

Comment

Hey Noggin, I think you touched a nerve with your original sarcastic post. If you would have simply stated your actual opinion on street racing, I'm 99% sure everyone would have agreed with you and moved on.
            94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

well soo much for reading about peoples "racing stories" lol, and i thank u guys 4 caring enough about not getting my "hot thread" closed
              1967 Camaro "Project"
              1972 Chevelle "454"
              1979 Trans Am "Project Ls-1"

Comment

Originally posted by RocKin1967
                man i remember embarrasing a honda civic that had aftermarket stuff...anyways their was a carclub called "Flawless performance" about 2houses down from my house and this guy would always rev at us and we would rev back so one day im in my sisters car getting some parts and at a light he puls up nex to me with his g/f... and revs.....lol theirs 2 other people in my sis's bone stock crv so the light turns green and i spin tires brifely and im infront by like 1/2 a car and then after about a 1/4 mile we catch up with traffic and i let off putting my hazards on and he does the ricer fly by zooming after i shut her down and he has to dodge cars and then i get back next to him about 2 lights down and we just laughed at him that guy looked soo pissed and his g/f was laughing too lol....ahhh goodtimes goodtimes
                I always love whomping on little ricers in the Jeep. The look on their faces at the next red light was priceless lol

Originally posted by RocKin1967
                well soo much for reading about peoples "racing stories" lol, and i thank u guys 4 caring enough about not getting my "hot thread" closed
                Hey, I think its a cool thread. Hopefully it won't get shut down . You gonna make some more stories this summer from the track?
                Steve

Comment

if i get the car done by then ill be posting alot... maybe a thread like "67 takes down zo6" will be on here... lol, but im in fl so u will be seeing threads all year round too gwahahaha!!! lol j/k
                  1967 Camaro "Project"
                  1972 Chevelle "454"

Comment

20 years ago when I had no fear of my own demise, I was known to particapte in a few street races. One in particular sticks out in my head. I had a 74 Toyota ST with a nitroused big block, full tube chassis, big and littles, etc. I was cruising on my way home from a late night around the Orlando area. It was pretty late and traffic was pretty much zero. I kept having to stop at traffic lights and not a soul in sight. Several of these were really long lights too, so I was not going to take any chances and waited out each light. The last light I stopped at was before a long straightaway that was at least a mile before the next possible light.........

As I sit at the light I was daydreaming about a few races in the past, the car with it's choppy idle literally making the gound vibrate. I'm all alone just for a light and out from a side street right behind me comes another vehicle. It pulls up next to me, I look over and it's a fancy new superbike. Not being great with bikes, I couldn't tell much except the 1000 cc emblazoned on the fairing said it all. He looks over and throws me a couple of revs. I started to tremble. The feeling of going up against something really quick and knowing that I had better cut a good light or else I was going to be toast. My left leg started to shake a little. Part of it from having to hold down this nautilus machine type clutch and the anticipation of the launch. The light took what seemed like eternity. There still wasn't another car in sight. I could see the traffic light from the cross street turn yellow. I purged the nitrous one last time and brought the revs up. So did he........

The red light goes out and right as the green light lit, we both nailed the light. I instantly see the stars and the traffic light in full view as the front of the car yanked the wheels and settled back on the wheelie bars. I can just barely see the bike in the right lane as his wheelstand was running parallel to mine. The front of the car settles down and second gear lifts the front for just an instant. The guy on the bike hits his second gear and lifts too, only he just pulls even with my door. By now we are both ripping up to speed, the bike rider was laying down over the gas tank and was giving it everything it had. Halfway though second the nitrous came in and I started to walk him. I say started........ by now I had just gotten into third and we were both hauling bananas. It was then out of the corner of my eye I see a flash. Not from any kind of light, but a flash that sends chills down the spine of any street racer. I saw it and instantly had to get out of the throttle. The flash was the reflective emblems on the side of a police cruiser that was slowly rolling through an abandoned parking lot. I was able to catch that from a couple hundred yards away and was hard on the brakes. Hard enough that with the big and littles, the back end was hopping up and down desperately trying to grab the pavement. I managed to wrestle the car down to the current speed limit just as I reached the parking lot. The cruiser was just heading to the parking lot exit as I passed him. The superbike was still at full throttle and not lifting. I guess either he didn't see the cruiser or thought he would merely run away from him. As soon as he saw me, he hit his lights. My heart was in my throat as he pulled out behind me. I checked my speed, exactly the speed limit. He charged up behind me, pulled around and blew past me in hot persuit of the bike. I could see the bike must be a half mile or so ahead and wasn't stopping. Both disappeared in the distance. At the next light I was still shaking a little but finally managed to calm down and continued my cruise home. I rounded a corner and what do I see? 3 of the local patrol cars with our buddy, the superbike owner pulled over on the side of the road in handcuffs. I slowly cruise by, admiring the whole scene and was thanking my guardian angel for having a watchful eye that night. It was that night that I decided to hang up my street racing activities and confine it to the track. Incidently, the Toyota was running 9.30s at 148 on street treads, more than capable of dispatching all but the most dedicated of racers. I have a hard time believing the stupidity of my youth in running that seriously on the street. Thankfully I grew up fast enough to not have injured anyone else before getting it out of my system. I'm also thankful the officer either didn't see me at speed or he just chose the bike as his prey. I was an easy mark because I was right in front of him, a full tube frame race car complete with wheelie bars and a chute, not to mention he was going to have to chase down the bike. I was laughing to myself a little bit, wondering what the officer would have thought if the chute had been deployed and it had been bringing me down from speed as I went past him. The police report would have been priceless.

Comment

This past October was my first trip to the drag strip. Of course I have messed around on the street a little but have always been as safe as possible and never tried to run my car at even 90% of its potential. I will never forget my first run. Just as I turned the corner in the staging lanes heading towards my assigned lane I think "What am I doing?". I get lined up and staged and keep thinking - "OK hold it at 3000 RPMs until the last yellow and dump the clutch" - because this is what someone told me I should do.....on street tires. My adrenaline was pumping so hard when I left the line I had no idea I was spinning. I concentrated on all of my shifts - which I made pretty well I think. Imagine my surprise as I pull up to the shack at the end of the 1/4 mile and look at my time slip.......14.58 at 107 MPH
                      Silver 02 WS-6, 6 speed, Corsa cat-back, SLP lid, K&N filter, BMR STB, !CAGs, Lou's short stick, MSD wires, MTI "Hammer" cam, ASP underdrive pulley, Hooker LTs, Hooker ORY, Comp 918s, TR pushrods, UMI Sfcs, UMI LCAs, NGK TR55s, Hotchkis springs

Dyno'd 4/24: 330.9 RWHP/ 344.8 RWTQ (Before cam, headers, and pulley)

Dyno'd 5/1: 383.5 RWHP / 380.5 RWTQ (393 actual RWHP)

Comment

Now that I put my story in there, I'm going to address the next issue at hand. These comments are not directed solely in one person's direction, but to all in general. If any of these comments hit home and make you think, perhaps they will be valid.

The reason this forum exists is because there are people who care about the hobby. What I've found is that you will get out of the forum what you put into it. I've found other people on here that I repect. Not because I agree with their opinion, in fact I may disagree with some. It is because of their integrity and comradery. The help that I've received from folks on this board is staggering. I am willing to bet that if I were to post some insanely hard question and asked for help, someone is going to find the answer. For that, I am the utmost in grateful.

The forum is also not a place to attack another person's viewpoint. You can have a dissention opinion, but to personalize the disagreement is not earning the respect of the rest of the forum members. If you can't respect others, the forum will be a place that you gain nothing. If that is something that you could care less about, then don't bother even posting here. Banning is the last thing moderators ever want to do. We are happiest when everyone gets along. We are merely keepers of the peace and editors when needed.

I would prefer to not resort to locking the thread but if any of the previous continues, it's.......... you know what.

Comment

Hey Joe, great story. What speed were you at when you saw the cop and hit the brakes? Did the cop see you guys racing before hand, or just see the bike flying by? Man, that would have been the scariest moment in my life. But, to drive a 148 mph car on the street must have been insane

I learned the easy way...got pulled over because the cop thought I was a black Z28 racing. He gave the breathalizer, inspected the car, etc. Then, as the Z28 flew past us, the cop realized he got the wrong guy and let me go with no "fix it" tickets. That was enough for me to say "no" to street racing for the past 4 or so years. His mistake was a blessing in disguise.
                          94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

I've got a funny drag strip story......

My very first run ever was a couple of years ago. I was so nervous....I actually DID have a 4.0 60' time and ran a 16-something 1/4.

Best I have managed since was 14.36 at 99mph.

This year I put in 3.73's and an SLP CAI so I hope I can get this down some. I also changed to 17'' tires so hopefully I'll get better.

BTW fastest I have ever went on the street was about 140 racing a Mustang 5.0 on an empty interstate.

'95 TA A4, 118000 on the clock!
                            Borla, Strange 3.73's, SLP CAI, Vortech elbow,AFS Z06 Wheels,White gauges/blue backlighting,blue custom interior,MBA Shift knob,MadZ28 Tune, Intrax springs, Bilstein shocks, ES Trans Mount, Honeycomb taillights.

13.685@102.11

Comment

Originally posted by Craig 94 TA GT
                              What speed were you at when you saw the cop and hit the brakes? Did the cop see you guys racing before hand, or just see the bike flying by?
                              I'm not sure of the speed broh....... I know I was well into third and it took me about another several seconds of hard on the brakes to get me down to the limit. I don't think the guy on the bike saw the cop until too late. He had to have blown past the cop at better than 110. I doubt the officer saw us heading in his direction. We were about an 1/8 mile into the run, I was starting to stretch a car length lead, we were coming up behind him and as he turned toward the road I saw the reflection of the shield off the door and about crapped a cinderblock. I knew he was still far enough ahead that I could definately slow down some. Slowing down was the scariest..... the front pizza cutters were not too effective and the rear was taking long hops as the tires grabbed for traction. In retrospect, utter stupidity on my part. I was actually dumbfounded that the guy on the bike continued at WOT. Either he didn't see him or he didn't care. An even larger display of stupidity. Maybe he thought I broke. I know the cop was on the right side of the road, the bike pilot was in the right lane and most likely he was looking left toward me the whole time. In the end, I was very lucky and he picked up the tab.

Comment

i dont think i ever told u guys about the time i took down a zo6..... now i tell u its no lie everything is true, well anyways here it goes

so one day im coming home at like 2am and im sitting at a red light and then a brand new yellow z06 pulls up next to my "crv" and the guys got a paper tag and everything and is playing "i dissapear" from tallica so i give him props and i put her i N and i rev it up to about 5000 and he looks over and laughs and revs up 2 about 3000 and i look at the light and the guys does too and smiles so i see the other light go to yellow and i start to stall it and he goes into 1st reving it a few times and then BooM!!! green i spin for about a second and am speeding down Bam! it hits 2nd gear and im for the vette to zoom by and nothing yet and bam 3rd im looking back and see him still at the light....... he stalled out!!!! gwahahaha!!! man that rocked, but then about a 1/4mi down the street he zooms by me at like 100 and hits his flashers and thats how i whooped up on a zo6, their not that fast....
                                1967 Camaro "Project"
                                1972 Chevelle "454"

Comment

Working...
                                X