NFB: Mustang shifter postioning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by L98TA
    They have to make you feel cramped so it feels like you're accelerating. If you were comfortable you'd never notice it.

Ever raced or ridden in an 03/04 Cobra? I think you'd "notice it".
    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Originally posted by Nightrage
      What say ye to this short stick
      Get it lol. That's a pretty good deal. If you need some advice on next mods, shoot me a PM and I'll give ya a hand
      Steve
      79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
      87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
      93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
      http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Mustang shifters are in the worst place imaginable. Your arm is too short, or your leg is too long. I don't care how fast a cobra is, I could never drive a car that I'm not comfortable in. All mustangs from the 80's, 90's, and early 2000's look like garbage too IMO. The new body style is an improvement, but still needs a bit of refining if you ask me.

Had major back surgery 2 1/2 years ago, have always had some problems since then in regards with comfort....the remedy?....an f-bod.
        So comfortable to sit in, everything right where i want it, couldn't want anything more.....eh...except for a new Z06
        black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

I've watched this Mustang bash thread for days now and I now am going to add my 2 cents worth. I drove a Mustang for over 15 years. I thought the driving position was perfect. I got my Camaro and it took me 2 years to get used to it. I now have a 6 speed and personally I feel the shifter is to close to me. I can't extend my arm. It doesn't bother me. I can get used to it. I'll probably get back in a Mustang and think it is awful. But after I drove it for a while, it will be fine. It's a totally different sitting position. It's all in what you are used to. All cars are different. I am 6 foot tall but I have a longer upper body. Maybe that makes my arms longer. I don't know. I sat in a Camaro that didn't have T tops and my head hit the roof. I had to get one with T tops. I don't see how you 6'4" and up people get in these things. I knew a guy who was 6'6" with a 96 Z and his seat was back like 45 degrees to fit in it. The Mustang sits more upright. There is a lot more headroom in the Mustang. There is a LOT more elbow room in the F-Body. But it is like a foot wider. It's as wide as my wife's mini van. You think the Mustang is bad, go sit in a 70 nova with a bench seat and a 4 speed. Or a 73 GMC with a 4 on the floor.
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Steve93Z
            Big time man. The shifter has got to be in the worst place I have ever seen. Even sitting in the passenger seat you feel cramped. How can people think this car is better than the F-body?
            Easy...name recognition. It matters very little what it can actually do. There is far more nostalgia for the Mustang then there is for our f-bodies. Even if Chevy put out a new version of the ‘69 Camaro, it still wouldn’t strike the nerve that the revamped '67 Shelby wantabe ‘05 Mustang does. The Corvette is a different story.
            '77 K5 rock-crawler project
            '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
            '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
            '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
            '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
            My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
            Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
            X