Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting Borla exhaust and LT Headers, Anything I need to consider?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Borla exhaust and LT Headers, Anything I need to consider?

I finally decided to replace my exhaust system. I have a 1998 A4 TA with 53,000 miles on it. I was told my muffler a Thrush CVX is looking pretty ratty. I went to a shop yesterday and got a quote of about $450 in labor costs for replacement with a Borla 3way adjustable and Hooker LT super competition headers (ceramic coated). I wanted to remain 50 state emmisions compliant and the only LT headers approved for my car on Cali's emmisions laws were Hooker Super Competition LTs. I've been told that Hedman were also approved. I plan on getting my shift kit and line lock placed as well.

I've been told that fuel efficiency will decrease when I get my headers placed but other people I've talked to debated that.

Anyone have the 3way adjustable Borla Cat Back their cars? How do the settings sound to you? What setting do you have them for daily driving? Are they easy to adjust?

Anyone aware of any other LT headers 50 state emmisions approved for 98 T/As?

I appreciate your opnions. Thanx in advance.
    Mixedpuppy

1998 TA, mostly stock, SLP hood, ram air plastic intake, K&N Filter, Transgo Shift Kit, Kooks Stainless LT headers with Magna Flow Cats, Borla Exhaust (Medium plate setting), Kenny Brown SFCs, BMR Tower Strut Brace, 17" ROH RT Rims, 9.5 BFG KDWs, SLP Airlid, Smooth bore bellow, 85mm MAF. Nitrous to come. Action figure not included.

Originally posted by Mixedpuppy
    :Anyone aware of any other LT headers 50 state emmisions approved for 98 T/As?
    I thought all LT's were emission illegal since they either delete or at least force relocation of your cats. Right?
    2001 Sunset Orange Metallic w/Tan interior WS6 Trans Am, 33k, M6, Borla, SLP lid
    buttons in the ashtray and a bottle in the trunk Although I have yet to push it

SOLD: '97 Trans Am, 85k, LT1, A4, 3.23's, 98+ Taillights, SLP CAI, SLP Loud Mouth
    Best of 13.810 @ 100.58 MPH. 2.093 60' See It Here

Comment

I've had a Borla on my car for about 4 years now. I love the sound (esp. running an open plate instead of a blocking plate in the pipe to one side) and I've been quite pleased overall. In terms of adjustment - I'm assuming here that you mean the plates to divert to the muffler or not - if you leave one in and the bolts begin to rust in place where the plate goes, good luck. I've never changed out mine after the initial install.
      '99 T/A WS6 w/ Borla cat-back, K&N, SLP SFC, SLP STB, BMR boxed LCA's, BMR Adj. torque arm, BMR panhard rod, BMR springs, and Short Stick
      (a list I know, but if I don't put it here, I'll never write it down anywhere else)

Comment

i have the borla on pacesetter longtubes with no cats and no plate, i have a sound clip if you want to hear it.

my gas mileage has not changed AT ALL
        pewter 99 TA...t-tops, leather, m6, lid, longtubes back, gears, spec clutch, spohn suspension

Comment

Wouldn't headers increase fuel efficiency with increased air flow. Because I was told CAI increases fuel efficiency, and its the same idea right?
          94 Formula LT1 (Aqua Metallic) - Auto. - 104,000 miles - Charcoal Leather Mods: Magnaflow Muffler, Lingenfelter CAI, MadZ28 Tune, 160F Hyp. T-Stat., 1LE Elbow, & Summit Cutout. Options: 155 MPH Gauge Cluster, & 255-50ZR-16 Tires.

Comment

Originally posted by Mixedpuppy
            Anyone aware of any other LT headers 50 state emmisions approved for 98 T/As?

I appreciate your opnions. Thanx in advance.
            There are , especially not in California! I've never heard of the Hooker LT's having any kind of CARB certification. I could be wrong though !
            1996 Arctic White Z28, A4, K&N CAI, TByrne MAF ends, BBK Twin-52mm TB, TB Bypass, SLP 1 3/4" Shorties, Richmond 3.42's, Dynomax Bullet Muffler W/Turn Down, BMR Adj. Panhard, EIBACH Pro-Kit, AFS ZR1 Wheels W/17x11" out back!

Comment

Working...
            X