Need my fellow F-Body enthusiasts advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need my fellow F-Body enthusiasts advice

Hey guys this is a pic of my car. I was wondering how you guys think 18 inch black rims with a machined lip would look on her. I am only tossing the idea of black around and wouldn't do anything til summer. I think that the chrome look goes good with white but I just wanted your opinions

I was thinking maybe these if i could get the right offset....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

But these in the right offset.... drools....

http://www.corvettegarage.com/produc...5-and-Z06.html
    Attached Files
    1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

now, don't be offended... cause you did "ask".....

i think black rims are ugly, especially on a white car.......

just my 2 centavos...........

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Naw! I like the black wheels with the machined lip. But then again I'm just too old to like the chrome and what they call "bling". Gee I wanted to do the either the black wheels or gunmetal for mine.
      The Old Guy! '94 z-28, m-6, t-tops, go-fast red, 316k. Now with '96 engine w/ Lt-4 hot cam, roller rockers, heavy duty timing chain, and Spec stage 2 clutch.

Comment

I tried to photoshop them on the car for you but I'm pretty horrible with that program. I don't like the little dots around the outside (is that what a machined lip is?) but otherwise I like the wheel. But I'm with wolfman when I say I don't like black wheels on white cars, or white wheels on black cars. Usually.

2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V

PROJECT: Firebird '68 Firebird Convertible // 455 Engine // 389 Tri-Power Intake // 4 Speed Manual Trans

Comment

"Machined lip" simply means the edge of the wheel is unpainted aluminum, with a "finish" done with a machine tool like a grinder and/or polisher. Its simply unpainted bright metal. The "little dots" are fake rivets cast into the edge of the wheel to simulate 3-piece construction. I don't think the real C6 wheels have those... its just a gimmick some of the aftermarket wheels have. I argree.... they make the wheel look too "busy".

Rather than a high gloss black paint on the spokes, I think it would look better with a "black chrome" on the spokes..... or a black translucent powder coat like GM used on the 30th Anniv. T/A blue wheels.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Honestly, for a white car, I would go with a nice chrome wheel. I love the C6 wheels, but would look for a chrome set that fits instead of a black set. I've seen black wheels on white cars, and it wasn't bad, but I think it looks better on a black car. Just my thoughts. Remember though, it is your choice
            Steve
            79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
            87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
            93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
            http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman
              i think black rims are ugly
              You're right, Ken. I thought about getting black rims for my car until I saw this,

Yuck.
              Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

I like the Corvette Garage Z07 wheels. But don't put a black wheel on a white car, it is ugly. You asked.

Comment

I have been faced with the same issue. I personally like the "other than chrome" look on a white car. If I had to replace mine, I would look for a nice set of 5-spoke rims finished in anthracite/gun metal (kind of a dark grey). I think black is a hard rim caolor on any car.
                  Al 96 Ram Air T/A
                  Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Well I guess you guys have swayed me lol. I couldn't find a pic of em on a white T/A so I had no idea what they would look like but I would have to agree with you guys that chrome is prolly the way to go. i think at the moment I am happy with the ones I got... at least until the 2006 C6 wheels are more abundant and i can find a pic of em on a T/A. Sigh... I have searching for wheels like a mad man but just can't find anything that fits my style lol. Well... actually I like some of the Fikse rims but $600-$800 a wheel is just way too much if you ask me.

Thanks for the input guys

Ohh and btw.... When I said the corvette garage wheels would look good I didn't mean in black They look too good in chrome!!!
                    1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

Comment

Sigh.... It was spring when that photo of my car was shot... I can't wait until the weather starts feeling more like spring so I can take the tops off and cruise down to the beach. But looking at that pic makes me realize that she does need some Zaino
                      1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Taso
                        You're right, Ken. I thought about getting black rims for my car until I saw this,

Yuck.
                        Awww, c'mon DJ. That looks freakin' awesome...at least to me I guess lol . On a white car, black wheels are really hit or miss. On a black car...mmmmm-mmmmmmmm lol . Take care guys.
                        Steve
                        79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                        87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                        93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                        http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Originally posted by ws6drbob
                          Well I guess you guys have swayed me lol. I couldn't find a pic of em on a white T/A so I had no idea what they would look like but I would have to agree with you guys that chrome is prolly the way to go. i think at the moment I am happy with the ones I got... at least until the 2006 C6 wheels are more abundant and i can find a pic of em on a T/A. Sigh... I have searching for wheels like a mad man but just can't find anything that fits my style lol. Well... actually I like some of the Fikse rims but $600-$800 a wheel is just way too much if you ask me.

Thanks for the input guys

Ohh and btw.... When I said the corvette garage wheels would look good I didn't mean in black They look too good in chrome!!!
                          Here's how they look on white

Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Taso
                            Here's how they look on white

Well i certainly don't like em on his car and they would look worse on my 97. Thanks for the pics Taso
                            1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

Comment

i win... i win .........

naaah naah naaaaaaaaaaaaaah nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                              Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                              sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Working...
                              X