looking for an affordable data logger for my 94 Z

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for an affordable data logger for my 94 Z

i have the laptop, i have the cable, and have tried the freebies that came with it. the best one on there is the TTS datamaster, wich i dont think is worth $120. is there any other data loggers out there ? i dont have a hyped up car, but still want to look at what its doing.
    2000 WS6 T/A M6. Monster stage 3 clutch, flowmaster cat back, 4.10's, SLP lid, Hurst shifter.
    1996 Mustang GT 5 speed STOCK DD
    past rides:
    1996 Mustang GTS bright tangerine orange
    2003 Mach 1 azure blue drag car (10.90@118 record holder for fastest N/A mach)
    1969 Mach 1 house of colors candy apple red393 stroker 100 shot (10.829@125 in street trim)
    2003 Mach 1 Torched red FRPP aluminator/vortech 666RWHP
    2008 Mustang GT JDM stroker long block, Saleen 2.3 twin screw
    1980 Mustang L 13.7: 418 stroker
    1994 Z28 A4 rebuilt from wreck
    1994 Z28 A4 totaled

The other ones that I am familiar with are Diacom from Rinda, an antiquated DOS system that costs something like $500 for the deluxe version, or pcmcomm that comes bundled with LT1_Edit (OBD-I versions only).

Then there are versions of AutoXray hardware scanners that can be integrated with laptops to record data, but now you are talking $500-600.

What are your issues with FreeScan and DataMater? I've reviewed hundreds of these logs for people, and find them extremely useful. They are capable of capturing just about everything the PCM contains.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
      The other ones that I am familiar with are Diacom from Rinda, an antiquated DOS system that costs something like $500 for the deluxe version, or pcmcomm that comes bundled with LT1_Edit (OBD-I versions only).

Then there are versions of AutoXray hardware scanners that can be integrated with laptops to record data, but now you are talking $500-600.

What are your issues with FreeScan and DataMater? I've reviewed hundreds of these logs for people, and find them extremely useful. They are capable of capturing just about everything the PCM contains.

nothing worng with datamaster, i am just so used to paying 50~60 for games and programs that are more capable than it, and just wondering if there was any thing out there more affordable. that money could be my gears that i want.
      2000 WS6 T/A M6. Monster stage 3 clutch, flowmaster cat back, 4.10's, SLP lid, Hurst shifter.
      past rides:
      1969 Mach 1 house of colors candy apple red393 stroker 100 shot (10.829@125 in street trim)
      1994 Z28 A4 totaled

Comment

were did u get the cable to hook up you laptop to your car?
        1996 Trans Am WS6

A4, 3" VForce Catback, Corvette C6 rims, Slotted and Drilled Rotors, 160*stat, BMR SFC, HPP3, B&M Shift Kit.

Comment

For all it does, I think Datamaster is great and not extravagantly priced.
          Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

I am using the pcmcomm logger. Fine for what I need right now. Car felt like it was shutting down after the 8th.... turns out it is pulling 6 degrees of timing at ~93 mph @ 41xx rpms. back to back logs show near duplicate reports. Gotta be a misfire I am convinced... opti, bad plug, bad injector. not much else it could be...

but atleast I have proof that it is happening.
            1995 Firebird Formula
            (A4 3.23)Ram Air w/ K&N, TransGo Shift Kit w/3 washers ,SLP~Shorty headers, LoudMouth, Air Foil, LineLocks. Catco Cat. Hypertech 160. TB Bypass. MSD~8.5mm. Walbro 255lph. FT MAF ends. LT4KM. BMR~Adj LCA's, Rear sway, Panhard rod. HAL QA1 rear shocks. Random Tech adj TQ arm. Nitto NT555R's. Covered in Zaino. 13.466@103.85 N/A. [1.948 60' 13.410 @ 102.66 11/20/05]

Comment

Originally posted by azkkn
              nothing worng with datamaster, i am just so used to paying 50~60 for games and programs that are more capable than it, and just wondering if there was any thing out there more affordable. that money could be my gears that i want.
              Not sure how you compare the cost/benefit ratio of a game, sold in quantities of "millions" to a program that was specifically designed for a very limited number of users... e.g. OBD-I LT1's.

And... what features would make DataMaster "more capable?"

I'm lost on this one.

For cables:

http://www.akmcables.com/
              Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

looking for affordable laptop tuning

i was lookin on the net for an affordable program that will allow me to view timing and all sensor readings... i have a laptop but need a program that will interface with an obd1 system on my 94 camaro. it would be extremely useful when trying to tune my msd box. (6BTM) anywho, i just pulled the blower yesterday, will have to take some pics; needs to be sent out to california to have the seals done, i didnt realize on centrifugal blowers when they spit ATF back up into the intake elbow thats the seals need to be done.

-chris

Comment

Evrything discussed above works with your OBD-I 1994.

Hardware:

-LT1 ScanMaster

-Auto Xray (several OBD-I capable models) - http://www.autoxray.com/products.aspx

-Actron (several, but NOT the "GM code reader" for $30) - http://www.actron.com

Software:

-TTS DataMaster - http://www.ttspowersystems.com/

-Freescan - http://www.andywhittaker.com/ecu/ecu_software.htm

-Diacom - http://www.rinda.com/auto/auto.htm

-pcmcomm - http://www.carputing.com/

Interface Cables:

-AKM Electronics, link in earlier post.

Using Scan Data:

-My online guide - http://members.aol.com/InjuneerZZ/ScanMast.htm
                  Fred

Comment

i guess i have to suck it up and not be so cheap, and just buy it.
                    past rides:
                    1994 Z28 A4 totaled

Comment

Working...
                    X