Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Renewing the clear coat with mild sandpaper?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renewing the clear coat with mild sandpaper?

A few weeks ago, a moron hit my car's right fender front bumper. The new OEM replacements are in the body shop ready to prime and paint, but the rainy wheather has not let them do the job. The owner told me about to renew the clear coat with mild sandpaper and to apply a new clear coat all over the car. The paint has 50 or more Zaino layers, but it has several and mild scratches made by my Boxer & Cocker Spaniel puppies.
    Do you recommmend this procedure to me?
    Thanks a lot in advance for your comments
    Take care
    Doc
    97 A4 Pontiac Firebird Trans am with $everal mod$

If it’s that bad I'd just clear coat one panel at a time and see how it turns out. If its not too bad I'd Clay bar it then use Meguire's swirl remover, then their #1 Machine glaze which in there scale from #10 Heavy cut to #1 light cut is a #1 their lightest cut. Then it’s ok to Zanio away.
    I have taken off my heatlight doors and heat extractors to try this method and it seems the best I've done so far.

LT4KM, 160' TS, MAF ends, TB-BP, GMPP 1.6 R/R, SLP CAI, LCA, Adj. tierod, BMR tower brace, 17x9"F/R, 275/40R17 GY F1 tires. WS6 Muffler, LS1 DS. 21mm rear sway bar. Soon to be LT4 heads, intake, & HOT cam

Comment

i don't have the cajones (sp) to put sandpaper to my car...

2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V

PROJECT: Firebird '68 Firebird Convertible // 455 Engine // 389 Tri-Power Intake // 4 Speed Manual Trans

Comment

Always start with the least abrasive thing that will take care of your problem. If something with only a little abrasive does not do the trick, bump up to the next level. That means starting with clear coat polishes, then diluted polishing compounds, then rubbing compounds and then even sand paper. The trick is having enough clear to be able to take out the problems. I have used 1600 grit paper before, but you have to be super careful.
        Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Steve, Nogging and Rob (your wisdom......as always), thanks a lot guys.

Nogging, I have not the "cojones" neither man!!......hahahahaha (you "make my day" with this comment ) ...that's why I prefered to ask you guys...

Take care
          Dochidalgo

Comment

you can wet sand it with an extremely fine grade paper, i have seen it done before on one of them spike tv car shows. it came out looking realy good.
            -Nick-
            95 A4 Z28

Comment

Yes Nick, the body shop owner offer me that, precisely.......but I was not sure and i was afraid that procedure was more harmful than beneficial to the clear coat.
              Thanks for your imput
              Dochidalgo

Comment

email Sal Zaino and attach a pic of the damage too. he'll set you in the right direction...since you are a zaino customer...

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Hi Ken:
                  I'll do that.....it did not occur to me. Hope Sal counsel to me
                  Take care friend.
                  Doc

Comment

Originally posted by dochidalgo
                    Hi Ken:
                    I'll do that.....it did not occur to me. Hope Sal counsel to me
                    Take care friend.
                    Doc
                    ill put in a plug for ya, ol buddy!

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

2000 grit is probably as fine as you will get.

just use warm soapy water with your sponge pad.

Originally posted by 95z28
                      you can wet sand it with an extremely fine grade paper, i have seen it done before on one of them spike tv car shows. it came out looking realy good.

Comment

Thanks z28_xxx....
                        Regards
                        Dochidalgo

Comment

Working...
                        X