Installing a shift kit, need suggestions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing a shift kit, need suggestions

This isn't for my car, but I'm helping my friend install a shift kit in his 97 Camaro Z28 with the 4L60E automatic transmission.

We've already done most of the work required for the shift kit, but ran into a small snag. There seems to be no way that the servo assembly will come out without unbolting and removing the whole transmission. So my question is, of course, do you have to unbolt and remove the transmission just to get to the servo on a 4th gen? If there is no other way to get to the servo, than we'll just drop the transmission tomorrow morning and do it, but I figured I'd ask here first. We tried removing the crossmember, but that didn't help much. I'm open to any suggestions or advice.
    1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
    Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
    Trans: TH700R4
    Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

You need to wedge a prybar onto the engine compartment metal, and press on the accumulator? assembly. The Big piston. Then, work the ring off the piston with a flathead screwdriver. The piston should move in when you pry it. The hardest part is getting that metal ring back in. Make sure you clean the channel where the ring sits before putting attempting to put the ring back in. Q-Tips worked great for me the second time around. Make sure the ring is seated properly, pump the accumulator a bit to make sure it doesn't pop back out.

You are talking about the large piston on the side of the tranny right? Almost at the end of the install.
    Watch the video, it should show you. I think that part was a little misleading though, they made it look too easy - or it looked like it was out of the car. Anyway, it should still be easier with the tranny on the car. Take your time, a small mistake can lead to major problems later on.
    1995 Firebird Formula
    (A4 3.23)Ram Air w/ K&N, TransGo Shift Kit w/3 washers ,SLP~Shorty headers, LoudMouth, Air Foil, LineLocks. Catco Cat. Hypertech 160. TB Bypass. MSD~8.5mm. Walbro 255lph. FT MAF ends. LT4KM. BMR~Adj LCA's, Rear sway, Panhard rod. HAL QA1 rear shocks. Random Tech adj TQ arm. Nitto NT555R's. Covered in Zaino. 13.466@103.85 N/A. [1.948 60' 13.410 @ 102.66 11/20/05]

Comment

Yep, that's what I'm talking about. The shift kit we are installing is not a Transgo, so it didn't come with a video. The shift kit my friend got is a Superior brand shift kit that he bought from our auto. trans. teacher at college. He highly recommended it (he's been building auto. trannies for over 35 years) so that's what my friend bought. I personally like Transgo, but, it's not my car.

So, to get the servo out, did you unbolt the crossmember to allow for more room, or is that not necessary? I know this is a long shot, but does removing the torque arm allow the tranny to go down more? I seriously doubt it will, but I figured I'd at least ask.

I'm still open to any and all suggestions, and thanks for the help so far.

CarDomain Site

Comment

We got it done today. Didn't have to remove the tranny (thank goodness), just had to do a little prying here and there . He even let me drive it after we got done installing it. I haven't smiled that much in years .

Bad part is, now I want a 4th gen.

CarDomain Site

Comment

Was it a full shift kit, or was it just servos. Did you have to drill the holes bigger, or was it a larger piston.
          1995 Firebird Formula
          (A4 3.23)Ram Air w/ K&N, TransGo Shift Kit w/3 washers ,SLP~Shorty headers, LoudMouth, Air Foil, LineLocks. Catco Cat. Hypertech 160. TB Bypass. MSD~8.5mm. Walbro 255lph. FT MAF ends. LT4KM. BMR~Adj LCA's, Rear sway, Panhard rod. HAL QA1 rear shocks. Random Tech adj TQ arm. Nitto NT555R's. Covered in Zaino. 13.466@103.85 N/A. [1.948 60' 13.410 @ 102.66 11/20/05]

Comment

Yep, it was a full shift kit. We had to remove the valve body and replace some springs, drill 6 holes in the valve body plate, change a spring in the pump, change a spring in the 1-2 accumulator, etc., etc.

CarDomain Site

Comment

Working...
            X