Small valve stem to rocker snag

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small valve stem to rocker snag

OK I just had a set of 92 TPI (L98) heads re done with Stainless steel valves. The valves came with new valve locks and the set was to be for stock valve size and length. Now the problem Im running into is the valve retainers on this head are cup shaped. I bought a set of GM self align roller Rockers for the LT1/LT4 engine wich GM assured me would fit the L98 head. The rocker tips on either side of the rocker are hitting the retainer and not sitting on the stem. I have a set of 1970 350 Corvette heads sitting in the corner with flat retainers and the valve stem sits high enough on that head for the rocker to sit on. Now the question I have is what is at fault and how can I fix the problem. Do I get different valve locks the will alow me to set the stem Higher (it looks as though these stems are sitting lower in the locks than the 70 heads) or do I get retainers that are not cup shaped ie. flat or both? I believe I still wil have to get the stems to sit higher out of the locks. Did I get sent the wrong valves? I appreciate all help in this matter

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
    Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
    6.2L/382.97 ci
    Custom PROM Dyno tuned
    WCT-5 speed
    BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
    Boss MS 18" Rims
    Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
    Custom Dual exhaust
    1LE upgrade
    Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
    In a constant state of upgrade!

Originally posted by DeWynter
    I believe I still wil have to get the stems to sit higher out of the locks.
    You hit the nail on the head, no pun intended. The valves *should* not be the problem unless the valve location or angle was altered. Then again, you never know what may happen at the machine shop. Different locks and retainer shape should get you fixed up.

Comment

OK so I ordered a set of Comp cams flat retainers (steel) and 64 x .060 spring inserts to make up the difference on the change from valve retainer style. The style I have is a rotator, which rotates the valve every time it is pushed down. The style Im moving to is a flat, non-rotating style which due to the seats of newer heads being machined for rotator style retainers (deeper cut) I have to place .240 worth of inserts to gain back my seet pressure. I hope this fixes my problem!

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
      Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
      6.2L/382.97 ci
      Custom PROM Dyno tuned
      WCT-5 speed
      BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
      Boss MS 18" Rims
      Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
      Custom Dual exhaust
      1LE upgrade
      Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror