Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NFB: Any of you guys watch Ultimate Fighter?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well Joe, I'm not in your league at all and a Go Dan is pretty darn impressive for a white boy. My situation was that I was living overseas as a kid and went to the dojo every day after school. We worked out really hard (an hour of stretching and calisthenics and drills before the lesson even started) and if one of the kids started whimpering and collapsing from the workout, they threw him in the lilly pond with the frogs and the coi. Now, that only happenned once or twice, but it was something to see - a prime motivator. I had to finish up in the states which was tough because my dad was in the service, and we moved every year and a half, and I only ever finally got an Ichi Dan black belt which is really nothing to brag about, but it was like trying to start over everywhere you went - kind of discouraging. Those stories of yours are pretty funny and I had similar experiences in an AAU tournament once, but I didn't steal the show the way you did.

My best American Judo instructor was also a Shi Dan in Ju Jitsu. His name was Jerry, and he was deaf and mostly blind. He was working as an instructor for the Elite Black Forces in Germany, and he was a one man riot squad. If he had you down in a choke hold, you had to make sure you could tap him on the back, cause he couldn't hear you trying to slap the mat and you would wake up on your back looking up at the ceiling with a strang buzzing sensation in your head.. The students hated him cause he would make us do our break falls on a cement floor, but at least you learned to do it correctly. Yeah, those days are gone - we were just lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
      break falls on a cement floor, but at least you learned to do it correctly. Yeah, those days are gone - we were just lucky.
      I wish you could see me now. I'm laughing to the point of tears. That brings back so many memories. One time I felt so bad for a guy. I threw him with something..... can't remember what at the moment, but he didn't land correctly and his wrist blew out. It was bad too. He was going into shock, I felt like crap. He quit that day. Maybe not that day exactly, but in his mind that was the end. I cannot remember his name nor his rank, but his spirit is still familiar. It is akin to that of my early childhood, one of accepting failure. I am thankful every day that I was rescued from that mindset.

Another time I was letting myself be thrown in a demonstration and I hear the audience gasp as I smack the concrete on a breakfall.

Somehow I like the whole twisted concept of hitting the concrete floor and considering ourselves lucky to have had the priviledge of doing so.

Comment

So, you guys arent gonna join the UFC?

96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
        11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
          So, you guys arent gonna join the UFC?

Well, I got three good joints left and I don't want anything to happen to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
            Well, I got three good joints left and I don't want anything to happen to them.
            Ditto.

Comment

Working...
            X