Audio Upgrade Options?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audio Upgrade Options?

My speakers in my t/a are stock as of now (have a 12 disc changer, don't think that was stock, but came with my car when i bought it from the dealer, and i have a stock face with only a cassette deck), and i was looking into upgrading a bit, but i have a couple restrictions i guess you can say.

1) I want to keep my stock face. I want my interior to pretty much stay stock except for my trans temp gauge as of now.

2) I don't want subs or a sub box being that weight reduction is more important to me than decibels.

3) I don't want to spend too much money cuz i prefer to spend my $$$ on performance and suspension upgrades.

So if anyone knows good replacement speakers at a good cost that will get more sound, i would be appreciative of your knowledge.

Thanks guys
    black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Most aftermarket speakers require more power than a stock radio can provide. If you are insistent on staying with the stock radio, then you should just replace your speakers with some low dollar ones, as the stock radio will always be the limiting factor of your audio system.

BTW, an amp and a sub in the cubbyhole combined weigh MAYBE 50 pounds. That will not make hardly any difference in seat of the pants driving or on a timesheet. My car runs 12.3 in the 1/4, with a USAC winning sound system in it. I have a lot of equipment, but the total weight of everything is probably around 125 #'s or so. I'd rather run 12.3 with an awesome stereo than a 12.2 with no stereo.
    "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

The system in my car might be of interest to you.

I run a stock Delco-Bose head unit. (face) The outputs on it are line level due to the Bose system. I soldered some RCA jacks on the output wires and ran cables back to a Soundstream reference 405 amp located in the trunk. The speakers are all Peerless components with crossovers mounted in the stock amp locations in the doors. I built a small sub-box for the floor of the trunk and installed a singe 10" woofer. It really sounds great.

You might decide to use a JL stealthbox instead of a box on the floor. My car has the pump for the vert top back there so I couldnt use one.
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Thanks on the input guys. The reason also though other than the added weight is that i also need some extra space back there from time to time for my tools. I don't have another car, and i make some decent $$$ through side projects, thus the reason why the extra space is needed. I pretty much figured that without a different face, i couldn't get more power, but i am really insistent on trying to keep a stock look. Also like i said, i just want it a bit louder, i don't need it to be extremely loud....that's what the 2 half stacks, full stack bass amp, and drums are for when i'm jammin with a couple friends

Trace, your setup does interest me actually. It looks like something that I would be leaning more towards. If you don't mind me asking, how much did all of that run you?
        black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Originally posted by 95TransAm
          Thanks on the input guys. The reason also though other than the added weight is that i also need some extra space back there from time to time for my tools. I don't have another car, and i make some decent $$$ through side projects, thus the reason why the extra space is needed. I pretty much figured that without a different face, i couldn't get more power, but i am really insistent on trying to keep a stock look. Also like i said, i just want it a bit louder, i don't need it to be extremely loud....that's what the 2 half stacks, full stack bass amp, and drums are for when i'm jammin with a couple friends

Trace, your setup does interest me actually. It looks like something that I would be leaning more towards. If you don't mind me asking, how much did all of that run you?
          I purchased the OEM Delco/Bose CD headunit on Ebay for $75.00. The CD player portion of it was broken. I removed the CD module from it and sent it to a guy in Florida that rebuilt it for $60.00. It works like new now and looks completely stock.

The amp was a piece I've had for years. I originally bought it in 1996 for $550.00. It sounds so good that I could never sell it.

The speakers were purchased at www.madisound.com. The components there are very high quality european brands the sell for less than you'd expect. I built the box for the sub myself, but I would recommend you buy a JL Stealthbox for your application. The Stealthbox won't cause you to lose any space under your hatch for storage. I think a loaded stealthbox goes for $450.00.

Plan on spending at least a grand and it will sound great. It will not be a "loud" system, it will be a high quality sound. The single 10" woofer will not make you sound like a gang banger. It is tasteful.
          Tracy
          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
          Current Mods:
          SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

I think that is probably what i will want to get, or at least something very similar. Like I said, i want it to be louder than what i already have, with a nice full sound. I'm not looking for crazy loud or sounding like a gang banger lol. Hopefully by summer time all the components will be bought and good to go
            Thanks again

Comment

Working...
            X