Good A/F Gauge?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good A/F Gauge?

I was thinking about getting an a/f ratio gauge and was just wondering if anyone out there has any opinions or any experience on which brand types are good. I want to mount it in my driver's side vent. I already have an autometer trans temp gauge cuz i got a good deal on it. I like it thus far, seems to get the trick done

Thanks guys
    black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

A regular A/F gauge is just a light show. They are not sensitive enough, nor is your stock O2 sensor, to give you a truly accurate reading. It is a $50 "ballpark" gauge, and you really should save that money and put it toward a wideband O2 gauge with a datalogger, which you can get for about $400. Big price difference, I know, but you can actually get a real reading out of a wideband, plus you can tune with it.
    "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

I was wondering too after i posted yesterday if my O2 sensor was sensitive enough. Always better to do things the right way the first time though, and its always better to get actual readings than have pretty lights in your car that serve no purpose.
      Thanks
      black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Originally posted by MN6WS6
        A regular A/F gauge is just a light show. They are not sensitive enough, nor is your stock O2 sensor, to give you a truly accurate reading. It is a $50 "ballpark" gauge, and you really should save that money and put it toward a wideband O2 gauge with a datalogger, which you can get for about $400. Big price difference, I know, but you can actually get a real reading out of a wideband, plus you can tune with it.

I run an A/F ratio gauge on my turbo Omni. It is just a ballpark, but its basicly a safety gauge. I use it to adjust my fuel pressure to a "safe" level. I know that I want 9 lights lit on the gauge at full throttle. This puts me well into the safe range. Am I dialing the mixture in to perfection? No, but I know im not gonna melt my pistons either. Turbo dodge guys use the A/F ratio gauges pretty efficiently, for what they are.

Exhaust gas temperature gauge is another (more accurate than A/F gauge) way of determining fuel mixture without spending mega bucks on a wide band set up. The only disadvantage is that you have to tap your headers for the probe.

With either gauge, on a V8, you really need two though.
        96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
        11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Working...
        X