What to do about warped rotors?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do about warped rotors?

Well spring is coming and I figured I should probably take the rotors off my TA and figure out what to do with them, since they pulsate like crazy.

Is it best to just take them in to get them cut and put them back on? How can I prevent this from happening again? Is there a breakin procedure I should run through when I get them back from the machine shop?

So tired of warped rotors. I have them and so do all my friends. Is there anything that can be done?!

Thanks for the help,

...Tim

I have herd of people bakin the heck outa new ones in an oven a few times, or using a hand torch to heat them and cool them several times to brake them in so to speak

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
    Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
    6.2L/382.97 ci
    Custom PROM Dyno tuned
    WCT-5 speed
    BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
    Boss MS 18" Rims
    Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
    Custom Dual exhaust
    1LE upgrade
    Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
    In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

Originally posted by Timbers
      Well spring is coming and I figured I should probably take the rotors off my TA and figure out what to do with them, since they pulsate like crazy.

Is it best to just take them in to get them cut and put them back on? How can I prevent this from happening again? Is there a breakin procedure I should run through when I get them back from the machine shop?

So tired of warped rotors. I have them and so do all my friends. Is there anything that can be done?!

Thanks for the help,

...Tim
      My thought is that if they are warped, chances are, cutting them thinner is only gonna make the problem worse. If youre hard on your brakes (building up heat) then you should get a nice set of drilled and slotted rotors to dissapate the heat more efficiently. Otherwise, youre gonna keep warping rotors.
      96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
      11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Working...
      X