Nitrous!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nitrous!!

I'm trading a friend of mine a high-end cell phone for his used nitrous system. The system is complete and is able to be adjusted from 50-150hp. Since my motor has 114000 on the clock I am wondering if it is safe to use N2O? I would like to use the 100 shot.

Also, are there any other parts that I would need. He suggested maybe a fuel pressure gauge and also adjusting the air/fuel ratio for a little more fuel than normal. I thought our cars adjusted that mixture automatically?!

It is a wet system by the way, with a toggle switch ( it is my dailt driver after all! ).

My bottom end seems rock solid...does not burn or leak any oil, still pulls strong.....

What do you guys think?

'95 TA A4, 118000 on the clock!
    Borla, Strange 3.73's, SLP CAI, Vortech elbow,AFS Z06 Wheels,White gauges/blue backlighting,blue custom interior,MBA Shift knob,MadZ28 Tune, Intrax springs, Bilstein shocks, ES Trans Mount, Honeycomb taillights.

13.685@102.11

There are quite a few nitrous threads on this board, and a search will get you more details. Basically, you need a fuel pressure safety switch (so the nitrous shuts off if fuel pressure drops), an MSD6AL or some other "soft touch" rev limiter (as the factory limiter cuts fuel which will blow the motor on nitrous, a "soft touch" kills spark), a window switch (so the nitrous is only activated between certain RPM's, on a stock LT1, this is typically 3,000 to 5,500 RPM), and finally you need to change the plugs to standard plugs (not platinum), 1 step colder than stock (there's all kinds of plugs that do that, typically people run NGK's on an LT1 with nitrous), and regap them to .035.

You cannot adjust for more fuel without a tuner, and that's even more money. In your instance, what you would want to do to be safer is to run the jetting slightly on the rich side, which means a little bit bigger fuel jet than you would normally run. This is not necessary though if you have it jetted right in the first place, and if you have all the proper safety equipment that I listed above.

If you're getting the nitrous kit on a swap, then you need to figure about $500 for all of the above listed items (average retail estimate, plus some various fitting, wiring, and switches) and somewhere in the neighborhood of a day installation time.
    "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

The non platinum plugs will be OK for daily use? The nitrous is going to be used very sparingly, only at the strip. Btw, the kit has a WOT switch with it.

My friend is going to install it with me since I have no clue and this will be about his 10th install of a N20 system. His labor is included in the swap and he supposedly has all of the wiring and plumbing needed.

I do think I want that fuel pressure safety switch, where can I buy one and about how much are they?

Borla, Strange 3.73's, SLP CAI, Vortech elbow,AFS Z06 Wheels,White gauges/blue backlighting,blue custom interior,MBA Shift knob,MadZ28 Tune, Intrax springs, Bilstein shocks, ES Trans Mount, Honeycomb taillights.

13.685@102.11

Comment

The NOS fuel pressure safety switch for high pressure fuel injection systems is part # 15685, $36 at Summit.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Non-platinum plugs are fine for daily use. They don't last as long as platinum(arguably here, but we'll go with what the GM press machine wants you to believe), but they will do the job.

Just for general reference, I don't care what kind of car you have or how nice you are to it, plugs just simply aren't designed to last that long. You should change them out a lot more often than every 100,000 miles. I personally only go about 20,000 miles on plugs, whether platinum or not, because a $4 plug is a lot cheaper than a $2,000 engine, especially when you're running nitrous.

Comment

Thanks guys for the info. I feel a bit safer now.

So, I'm assuming since all of this info was given to me because you guys think a high-mileage bottom end is OK if well-maintained?

Where can I get the NGK plugs?

13.685@102.11

Comment

You really don't have a lot to worry about with the mileage as long as the car has been strictly maintained. Another reason nobody is giving you any negative feedback on this is because you are using a 100 shot. Now if you were to try a 150 shot, then we'd be throwing up red flags. 100 shot is a lot of nitrous, but when you have a 260 HP motor to begin with (or more depending on your application), it can easily handle that. The key is to make sure that everything is in tip-top shape and stays that way.

Now, if you want a red flag, I would have to say that you insist on getting all the safety stuff before you ever spray. It's very tempting to get the kit on and go run it before you have the soft touch limiter, window switch, etc. and just kinda "redneck it". Redneck it is when you hear the stories of "nitrous blew my motor", because some idiot took a car with way too much nitrous improperly tuned and with no safety equipment and blew his block in half because he was stupid. The safety stuff is the absolute most important thing.

Comment

Where can I get the MSD6AL that you referenced in the post before.

Thanks

13.685@102.11

Comment

Most f-body retailers sell them, as well as Summit and Jegs.

Comment

What about the NGK plugs. Where can I buy them?

13.685@102.11

Comment

I can't remember which ones they are, either TR55's or TR6's, I'm sure Fred can answer that one for you. They can be picked up at a lot of local auto parts stores. I don't run the NGK's because the ones I needed weren't in stock when I did my nitrous install, so I can't remember which ones you need. I think they are the TR6's though.

Comment

NGK TR6, or Autolite 104.

What brand of nitrous kit is it?
                        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I will get that info for you Fred. I think it is NOS. I'll figure out for sure. I don't have it in my possession yet since he is going to be bringing it over and installing it for me.

13.685@102.11

Comment

I run the 104's in my car, if you were wondering. No problems.

Comment

IHe said the brand was CompCar or compucar, something like that. What can I say we were at the bar and I could barely hear!

13.685@102.11

Comment

Working...
                              X