Flywheel question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flywheel question

What are the signs of an unbalanced flywheel? I have a vibration in my tranny upon idling out in first gear and was wondering if this could be related to the flywheel. I have good clutch pedal pressure and the clutch has about 5-6k on it.
    1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

If it wasn't there originally it isn't the flywheel. Flywheels don't go out of balance over time or wear. My guess is the pilot bearing but that is a guess. If it is wore out, when the pressure plate clamps onto the flywheel, it will be a little off center which will make it vibrate.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Thanks jeff that makes sense because i am hearing a rattle when the clutch is let out in neutral. Any reason why the throw-out bearing would go out after 5k? I thought that if the flywheel was out of balance it would eat up the throw-out bearing so that was why i assumed that was what it was. I have put two clutch assemblies in the car since i have had it but never resurfaced the flywheel. When i yank the tranny i am going to drain the fluid and refill it. If so what kind would you recommend seeing as how you have had your share of m6 problems as of late.
      1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

Comment

ohhh and also... anyplace i can buy just the pilot bearing?
        1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

Comment

I'm not sure about the throw out bearing. Anything would be a wild guess from me.

I checked LM Performance since they are not far from you but they didn't list one. Most local parts store should have it. Summit has it.
          http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...4&autoview=sku

Good luck getting the old one out. Many people say they have used the "hydraulic method" using a grease gun to push grease in forcing the old bearing out. That has never worked for me. What has worked is a dent puller.

I would recommend Mobil 1 synthetic. That is what I used.
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

Yeah well lucky for me my uncle has a 2000 sq ft garage with a lift and every tool known to man (this is where he works on his C5, 69 z28, 70's model T/A, and old pickup truck). He actually has a pilot bearing yanker that I can use to take it out in seconds... believe me that thing is worth its weight in gold!!! It has three fingers with hooks that you slide into the bearing, then you tighten it to serperate the fingers and set the hooks behind the bearing, then it has a long rod with heavy handle around it that you slide backward to break it loose (like a reverse hammer). Gives it about 5 or 6 good yanks and it pops out!
            1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

Comment

How many quarts does the T-56 hold??? Ohh and btw thanks a bunch for the link and the info!!!
              1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

Comment

Originally posted by ws6drbob
                How many quarts does the T-56 hold??? Ohh and btw thanks a bunch for the link and the info!!!
                I little less than 4 quarts. You are quite welcome.

Comment

I yanked out my old piliot bering yesterday and the wet toilet paper trick worked. Keep hammering soaking wet TP into the hole with a 3/8 extension and a hammer, it takes about 5 minutes and its amazing how much TP you will be able to stuff in there. The pilot braing popped right out then you dig the TP out with needle nose pliers. The grease method has never worked for me, it just made a big mess.
                  1995 Z28 Convertible, 350ci LT1 73K miles M6.
                  Dyno results: 301.5 RWHP 326.7 RWTQ
                  Performance Mods 4.10 gears, AS&M CAI, MADZ28 tune, Borla catback, RK Sport mid-length headers, LT4 valve springs, CC pro mag 1.6 RR's, LT4 KM, MSD OVC wires, TB bypass, 160 t-stat, SLP clutch plate w/Kevlar dual friction disk, 52MM TB, TB air foil, 1LE aluminum driveshaft, ASP UD pulley, LS1 brakes w/ Hawk HPS pads, LCA's and PHB.

Comment

........i am hearing a rattle when the clutch is let out in neutral. Any reason why the throw-out bearing would go out after 5k?....
                    The T56 seems to be prone to a noisy rattle in the input shaft. It really shows up at idle. Mine had it from the day the car was new. Never got any worse. I have a spare T56 in the garage, and you can rattle the input shaft just by yanking it from side to side.
                    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

He actually has a pilot bearing yanker that I can use to take it out in seconds... believe me that thing is worth its weight in gold!!! It has three fingers with hooks that you slide into the bearing, then you tighten it to serperate the fingers and set the hooks behind the bearing, then it has a long rod with heavy handle around it that you slide backward to break it loose (like a reverse hammer). Gives it about 5 or 6 good yanks and it pops out!
                      This is similar to it:

http://www2.northerntool.com/product-1/390161.htm
                      1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

Comment

Working...
                      X