No money but I wanna go faster.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No money but I wanna go faster.

I recently recieved my income tax return of almost $2000. I was pretty excited because I was gonna buy some goodies for my car. Well lucky me a month 3 weeks before I got my return I melted 2 rod bearings so my return was spent before I got it. So my question is what can I do for little or no cost to an L98 350 in an 89 ta. I already did the screen out of the mass air flow sensor and I also put headers on it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks fellas
    1999 Ram Air Trans Am. M6

SFC( not sure what kind), drilled/slotted rotors, K&N air filter, all free mods, 3" Borla cat back exaust, electric exaust cut out, NGK spark plugs, royal purple motor oil, and Zaino .Maybe more. I find more stuff done to it everytime I look at it.

Not that we don't want to help you, but you'd probably get a lot more answers at www.thirdgen.org They're nothing but thirdgens, and there's a wealth of knowledge about them there. While this site isn't dedicated to fourth gens, that just happens to be what is mostly here.
    Dave M
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Thanks man. I'm thinkin that I should have bought a 4th gen now as apposed to a spending $2000 on my TA

SFC( not sure what kind), drilled/slotted rotors, K&N air filter, all free mods, 3" Borla cat back exaust, electric exaust cut out, NGK spark plugs, royal purple motor oil, and Zaino .Maybe more. I find more stuff done to it everytime I look at it.

Comment

there are a bucnh of free mods to tpi cars. you can advance your base timing 4-6degrees, !air silencer mod, $5 ram air mod, depending what gears you have you can even put in 3.42's or 3.73's from a junkyard for cheap.
        the biggest free mod is and always will be weight reduction. taking out jack and spare, rear seats, cleaning the car thoroughly, carpet padding.....the list goes on and on depending how far you want to go.

later
        tim
        83 Camaro Z28
        New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
        www.NJFBOA.org
        East Coast F-Body Nationals
        http://www.njfboa.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=11

Comment

Add nitrous........it isn't free but its relatively cheap......certainly the cheapest money you will spend for the highest gain in HP!
          Dave S
          2000 Black Camaro SS

Comment

Throttle body coolant bypass is another free mod.
            1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
            Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
            Trans: TH700R4
            Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

teh biggest bang for teh buck gain you can get out of any stockish 3rd gen i sgears IMO. at least a 3.73, 4.10's would be better. they are relatively heavy cars, most tpi cars only had 3.23's, and the stock torque convertor is so tight it would make a professed virgin jealous.
              gears do a ton to help teh car get rolling adn then they help take advanatage of the engine entire power band better down track.
              a cheapy fix for the lame stock TC is to find one from a stock 4cyl powered S-10. they stall to about 2k behind the 4cyl, stall around 2800-3000 behind a mild V8

later
              tim
              83 Camaro Z28
              New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
              www.NJFBOA.org
              East Coast F-Body Nationals
              http://www.njfboa.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=11

Comment

"No money but I wanna go faster."

The story of my life......
                96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
                11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Thanks for the advice fellas I really appreciate it. I did the coolant bypass thing already and I am now looking in to a rear end. Right now as it stands I have 3.27 gears. Where's a good place to buy a rear end?

Comment

Working...
                  X