Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ram Air??

Hello everybody.

I'm new to this forum and from the posts I've read this looks like THE place to be. I've got a 99 WS6 Ram Air T/A, auto, pewter, T's, and pretty much every option available.

When I got the car, the first thing I did was change the air filter to a K&N and I noticed there was something fishy about the Ram Air scoop. Just inside the scoop, there's a bit of a maze. Looks like the air has to travel up and down past a couple of fins. I'm not an aerodynamic engineer, but it looks like those fins are sort of defeating the purpose of "Ram" air. Any ideas?

Jason

they are their to keep water away from your filter
    1996 Firebird Trans Am ws-6 a4
    BBK headers
    3in. Exaust with flow 80
    Port and Polished Heads
    58mill Throttle Body
    Lowered an inch
    2:73s... 3:42 goin in soon
    2001 S-10
    Air-Ride - SOLD
    2003 S10
    Lowered 6 inches
    2005 HD sportster 1200 custom
    Drag bars
    Lowered 3 inches

Comment

yeh i noticed that too. i was gonna take them out, but then i thought that it would be better if my air filter didnt get drenched every time it rained.

anyway the ram air only works when your goin 90 mph anyway, no big loss with the restrictions in there.
      1996 Trans Am WS6

A4, 3" VForce Catback, Corvette C6 rims, Slotted and Drilled Rotors, 160*stat, BMR SFC, HPP3, B&M Shift Kit.

Comment

Welcome to the forum!

The LS1 ramair is actually more of a cold air intake, than a actaul "ram" air intake. The way it is set up, I don't think there is really any seal between the hood and the airbox, so any ram affect is lost.

I wouldnt worry about it though, even if it was a sealed system it wouldnt create any real benefit.

The LT1 ram air systems were sealed to the hood, but again there is no considerable performance gain.

For LT1 cars a basic Cold Air Induction kit like those sold by SLP, K&N or Moroso will provide benefits equal to a ramair setup. For your LS1 car I'd get a different lid for it and call it a day.

I'm not a LS1 expert, so you might want to seek further advice on how to best modify the air intake your car for optimal performance. I'm a LT1 geek. And, yes those things you see in the hood are water baffles. You can partially remove them without creating any problems. I wouldn't remove them entirely on a street car.
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Welcome to forum! Nice car by the way. I agree with Tracy. I would not entirely remove the water baffles, but you can modify them a little. At best, it will just provide a better chance at eliminating a pressure drop. It will not increase pressure at the intake manifold though.

Changing to an aftermarket lid and a LS6 intake manifolld will provide some significant gains however.

Comment

Working...
          X