Delteq Opti Conversion....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delteq Opti Conversion....

Are these the only guys that make this kind of kit? I already have a nice, new Northstar V8 ignition module/coil pack set up and I wanted to use to do the conversion. The only thing I need is the translator "opti box" and wiring harness. Its $350 for this stuff. I was figuring on about 200......I guess not. I realize that im paying for the R&D for the translator, but thats a lot of dough for basicly an ignition module. Is there any way around this beyond building my own translator? (Dont put it past me )
    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Have you also looked at Bob Bailey's LTCC setup, using the 8 LS1 style coils. You can get the coils off virtually any late model GM truck, or obviously an LS1 C5 or F-Body (new LS2 coils may have a different connector??).

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...htp_optispark/

http://www.bailey-eng.com/
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Any idea on price?...

Edit.....never mind. I found it in the link. Yea, for an extra 50 bucks, id rather have that. But the nice thing is that I already have the northstar coils. You would think that the LS1 setup would drive the cost of the delteq set up down.....it looks like a better deal.
      96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle

Comment

Speaking of multiple coils, is there a set distance the plug wires can be? what is the max distance a person could run the plug wires from a multi coil system (8 coils)?

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
        Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
        6.2L/382.97 ci
        Custom PROM Dyno tuned
        WCT-5 speed
        BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
        Boss MS 18" Rims
        Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
        Custom Dual exhaust
        1LE upgrade
        Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
        In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

Im sure there is a max distance, but nothing that you would exceed under the hood of your car. The difference in resistance between a 1 foot wire and a 3 foot wire probably would not cause a problem with these DIS systems. There is some serious push going through those wires....

Comment

Thanks for the info. The reason I asked is because I am trying to engineer an "opti" distributer so that i can swap in a late LT1 PCM and harness onto my 383 TPI. there are many reasons to do this. I really want SFI and the ease of programing compared to having to burn a new chip every time I do a change to the engine. Plus I will be the only person I know with this mod. The LT1 PCM uses mostly the same sensors as the TPI engine, so it is a pretty straight forward design. I will of course have to make a custom harness, but I guess thats where all those wiring courses I took in school pay off!

Now everyone back to the original topic

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
            Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
            6.2L/382.97 ci
            Custom PROM Dyno tuned
            WCT-5 speed
            BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
            Boss MS 18" Rims
            Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
            Custom Dual exhaust
            1LE upgrade
            Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
            In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

I have an 8-coil setup (not the LTCC) with the coils mounted under the radiator. The wires (MSD 8.5 SuperConductors) are fairly long. These are not equivalent to the "coil on plug" setups that some cars run. It is more correctly described as "coil near plug". For some reason, I believe Bob Bailey does not recommend the MSD wires with his LTCC setup though.

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
              X