Heads are coming off...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heads are coming off...

They're going to the shop. Getting them bowl blended and put on the bench. Not going with a full port with valve jobs, etc... They should still flow really awesome. I'm kinda looking forward to tearing into it.

I went and exchanged my 986 springs for some 978's, and I showed him the cam I'm getting. He said it'll be a dog with stock heads. He said he can free up 40 hp with those heads, and that's where I'll get most of my power. I showed him a couple different cams and he laughed and said it didn't matter with stock heads, they're gonna be the same hehe. I kinda knew but I just didn't want to pull the heads yet. Gotta do what I gotta do though right?
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Anyone here heard of bowl blending, or familiar with it? I'm hoping it kicks the heads way up, but the price is so much lower than a full port, it seems like it could be a waste of money. No valve job, just porting the inside of the heads. Anyone?
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

Comment

I believe Bowl blending just cleans up the bowl and blends it into the runner in the head for a more efficent transfer of air into the head when passing around the corner so to speak. Im not sure how much of a gain it will net you all by its self, as I had mine done with a full port job. It will increase the flow coeficent of that part of the head runner, but if the major restriction of that head isnt the bowl then it may need additional porting to gain full advantage of the bowl blend. If you follow my rambling!

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
      Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
      6.2L/382.97 ci
      Custom PROM Dyno tuned
      WCT-5 speed
      BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
      Boss MS 18" Rims
      Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
      Custom Dual exhaust
      1LE upgrade
      Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
      In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

How much does a port job on heads run?
        1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

Comment

I got quoted from this guy, 2 grand for a full port job with a 5 angle valve job.

Another place quoted me 1500. flow benched, 5 angle valve job, etc...

Comment

Hmm is that just the heads or is that port matching the intake manifold as well?
            1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

Comment

port matching the intake i believe. That isn't too hard. If that was a lotta dough i'd probably do it myself.

Comment

scared me... i thought terrorists had posted i here.................................

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman
                  scared me... i thought terrorists had posted i here.................................

lmao. I doubt it man. Not with that video stickied at the top of the forum

Comment

Just a simple little question. Why pay more money for a 5 angle valve job when in all reality you won’t ever see a difference in performance vs a 3 angle valve job. 5 angle valve jobs are for people who have done everything else possible to an engine to achieve power and are trying to get the very last HP they can from the engine. People in nascar may see a difference but the average guy on the street or at the strip isn’t ever going to see 1/100 of a second faster speed from this. Now if it’s costing the same as a 3 angle job by all means why not. But to pay extra for minuscule to no gain is like buying an air foil for a stock car, it just isn’t worth it. Just my 2 cents.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
                    Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
                    6.2L/382.97 ci
                    Custom PROM Dyno tuned
                    WCT-5 speed
                    BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
                    Boss MS 18" Rims
                    Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
                    Custom Dual exhaust
                    1LE upgrade
                    Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
                    In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

Originally posted by DeWynter
                      Just a simple little question. Why pay more money for a 5 angle valve job when in all reality you won’t ever see a difference in performance vs a 3 angle valve job. 5 angle valve jobs are for people who have done everything else possible to an engine to achieve power and are trying to get the very last HP they can from the engine. People in nascar may see a difference but the average guy on the street or at the strip isn’t ever going to see 1/100 of a second faster speed from this. Now if it’s costing the same as a 3 angle job by all means why not. But to pay extra for minuscule to no gain is like buying an air foil for a stock car, it just isn’t worth it. Just my 2 cents.
                      Before I spent 2k to have my LT1 heads ported, I would purchase an LT4 conversion kit. You'd be better off....
                      96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
                      11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Originally posted by DeWynter
                        It's a marketing plow to make money. It has no serious gain over a 3 angle. Very tiny if any. That's what I've been told.

I wouldn't pay for a 5 angle. I'm still not sure what to do. I need to read up on porting more to find out what's gonna make me the most power.

Comment

Working...
                        X