No announcement yet.

Crappy speakers in late model Camaro's?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crappy speakers in late model Camaro's?

Hey folks, I was wondering if anyone has had a problem with the speakers in their late model Camaro's?

I have a 99 Z28 and my factory speakers sound great new. After awhile though, they blow and I don't even play them that loud. Last time I had them replaced, I was extra careful not to play music too loud, but sure enough after a month or so, the bass was sounding like crap again.

Has anyone else had a problem?
    1999 Camaro Z28
    Stock
    Light Pewter Metallic

(For sale soon)

8 speaker 500 watt monsoon in yours?
    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

I have the single disk Monsoon, but I thought I only had 6 speakers. Also, not sure of the wattage.
      1999 Camaro Z28
      Stock
      Light Pewter Metallic

(For sale soon)

Comment

8 SPEAKER? If I can count correctly, I have 10. 2 mids, and 2 tweeters in front...2 woofers in the side panels, and 4 in back. I think that's ten...count em'. Are Camaros stocked differently?

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
        Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
        B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
        Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
        Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Yes... the best system available on a Trans Am is a 10 speaker 500 watt Monsoon.

On a Camaro, the best speaker set-up available in an 8 speaker 500 watt Monsoon.
          Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

I have the 200 watt system in my 2000 Z-28. I had no problems at all through nearly 50,000 miles, but recently blew a speaker (my own fault) Otherwise, I have found teh speakers to be excellent and have had many comments about how good it sounds for a 'factory' sound system
            2000 Z-28 Convertible, neutral leather interior and neutral top, hotchkis STB, SLP Bowtie Grill, WhisperLid, K&N, cold air induction

Comment

Not happy with these!

I Thought I had the 500 watt 10 speaker monsoon in my WS6. I bought it used with 40k miles. The bass never sounded impressive like my friend's Bose in his 94 Camaro. Now all my speakers are blown just like you said. I'm also looking for replacements. How can you tell if your monsoon is the actually monsoon system?
              -Rico

Click here to visit my CarDomain page!

01 Camaro Convertable, A4, White, Audiobahn 12" subs and amp 800W/RMS,Xenon
              98 TA/WS6, M6, All options,stock with minor mods, stealth JL Audio-Sold
              98 Camaro, V6, A4, Silver, Xenon Body kit, white guages, MTX system, custom interior SOLD
              94 Camaro, 3.4L, M5, Quasar Blue, SOLD

Comment

the bose stereo tape/cd system in our envoys make our 500 watt 10 spkr systems in our birds sound like gravel.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

No offense to any of you factory-lovers out there, but to an audiophile all factory systems are sonically inaccurate. The first thing I've ever done with every car I've owned is take all that factory stuff and play "burn the speakers while they play" and "radio toss". Paper cones, 8 watt radios, factory amps, all junk.

Nowadays the factories are finally clueing into this phenomenon of factory equipment filling up landfills faster than dirty diapers do, and have actually started spending money and outsourcing other companies to design their audio systems. Of course, this is stuck in your wallet, and you end up paying anywhere from $1000 to $3000 extra for what is considered even a "decent" system (maybe even more, depending on the "option package" they hide the audio system cost in). For $3000 I can make your car sound like Celine Dion is singing in your ear, Van Halen has a drummer on your dash, George Jones slip up on one string of his guitar, whatever your pleasure.

So, for let's say $3000 you get Lexus, or Cadillac, or Infinity's "It fits in the holes and sounds good enough to us" stereo system, or you can have "This system specifically designed, installed, and tuned for (insert your name here)"

I'll take door number 2 please
                  "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

I have the 10 speaker system in my 94 formula. The factory paper cone speakers are crap; of the 10 speakers 3 are now blown. As already stated, you need to upgrade the system in nearly every car.
                    94' Formula, T-56, Moroso CAI

Comment

I have the Monsoon but to be honest I never even counted how many speaker there are.

I bought the T/A used and when I popped in one of my favorite Whitesnake CD's I got some really bad noise (I'm sure some you guys are now thinking Whitesnake is bad noise ) from one of the rear seat speakers.

So I took it to my favorite car audio place which has installed many gadgets into my cars. They checked it out and found that the speaker was busted to pieces. They first offered me some cheap replacements and eventually talked me into buying some Orion's which were not cheap. The pair was about $170 incl. installation.

I'm glad I put those in and if others go to pieces I will replace them with Orion's if possible.
                      Attached Files
                      97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Hmmm...Never done it, so I'll ask. How hard is it to install a speaker?

Can't be that bad. Especially if the wiring is sufficient.
                        Joe K.
                        '11 BMW 328i
                        '10 Matrix S AWD
                        Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

yeah, my paper cone factory speakers blew after only a few days... What can I say, I have to have my music loud. So, instead of fooling with stock speakers, I went straight to Hi Fi Buys... A couple thousand later, I finally got it loud and clear... I guess if someone was trying to keep the car exactly like it was from the factory, they wouldn't bother with a sound system... But I personally can no longer live without my MB Quart components and JL Audio sub...

Oh and installing rear speakers is no problem at all... The front door speakers are another story. The door panels are a pain... My Camaro didn't have any factory tweeter locations, so I had to whip out the good ole dremel... And getting larger guage speaker wire from the door into the interior is a pain as well...
                          1996 Camaro- L36, 5 spd, intake, Pacesetter headers, Flowmaster 80 series

My name is George, and I am an audiophile.

Anyone interested in an Xtant X603 multi-channel amp? Let me know...

Comment

Originally posted by Joe K. 96 Zeee!!
                            Hmmm...Never done it, so I'll ask. How hard is it to install a speaker?

Can't be that bad. Especially if the wiring is sufficient.
                            I wouldn't think so. I wanted to make sure it wasn't the stereo itself that had a problem, that's why I brought mine in. Was too lazy too to figure it out myself. Otherwise I would have just bought the speakers and installed them myself.

Like you said, if the wiring is sufficient and you have the correct specs of replacement speakers it shouldn't be a big deal.

I replaced the speakers on my 81 Vette which were real crappy incl. the installation job the previous owner did. What a pain that was. Surely a T/A or Camaro should be easier.
                            97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Working...
                            X