need power

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need power

i am trying to get some serious power but as cheap as possible i was wondering what you guys thought would be the best item or items to buy for some more power. thanks
    Tanner B.
    '96 Trans Am

What, if anything, do you have done already to your car? When you say "serious power", what exactly are your goals? How tight of a budget are we talking about? All these will factor in to what mods you want to do. There are a number of free mods out there that will net you a couple of horsepower. If you're all stock, and I will assume that you are, a cold air intake, and cat-back exhaust are common places to start. A quality intake should be around $200 and exhaust prices vary widely but you can get high-quality stuff for under $500. Rear gears help a lot for Seat of the pants (SOTP) feel, those can be had for another $500 or so including installation. Suspension is a must if you plan on making a lot of power down the road, Lower control arms, panhard rod, strut tower brace, subframe connectors, poly bushings, stiffer shocks and springs, larger roll bars, etc...

Then there's the bigger ticket items like tuning of your factory computer, headers, heads/cam, roller rockers, intake, forced induction..... As you can see it gets expensive. How fast you go usually equates directly with amount spent. Give us a better idea of what you're looking for out of the car, and we can better help you. All out drag racer, weekend cruiser with a few passes at the strip, auto-cross/road racing, daily driver, etc...

BTW, welcome to the board!
    Dave M
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

the most HP for the money is to install a NOS system. they are awsome.
      give this guy a call his name is Eric, tell him Clinton told you to call and that your from here and he will give you a real good price. in fact if anyone is looking to buy a NOS system give him a call he will treat you right. He is a friend of my son Clinton.
      http://bottlefedracing.com/index.html

Wade

Comment

yes my whole car is stock and i was looking at spending about 1000 to 1500. usually my car is just for driving but i want that power for the times that i race. thanks for being so understanding i will try to put more detail into further posts.
        Tanner B.
        '96 Trans Am

Comment

Originally posted by firebird69racer
          the most HP for the money is to install a NOS system. they are awsome.
          give this guy a call his name is Eric, tell him Clinton told you to call and that your from here and he will give you a real good price. in fact if anyone is looking to buy a NOS system give him a call he will treat you right. He is a friend of my son Clinton.
          http://bottlefedracing.com/index.html

Wade
          Nitros (nos is a system manuf.) ... the ticket to premature engine wearout.....

LOL..

thats correct, I'm not a nitros fan.... i always stay NA with my cars, but i didnt/dont drag race em..so...anywho...........

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
          Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
          sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

IMO cheap power does not exist. The way i look at it, if i add power, then suspension modifications are a must. Even if funds don't allow, I'll slowly do one, then the other, all while replacing and refurbishing many other parts.

If you want serious power at a decent price, throw a turbo or a blower on there. The option of a nitrous system is always a cheap way to get some pretty serious power, but make sure it's all done correctly. If you want serious power and would prefer to stay N/A, then you need CAI, full exhaust, cam, heads, intake, RR's, etc....and that's thousands right there.

Then again though, serious power to me means at least 12's, to some it might mean mid 13's....it's all in your preference.

Personally if it was me, and i had $1500 to blow, i probably would get these...

1)CAI-$200
            2)Catback-can range from $350-$650 or so...depends on what you want
            3)Send out your pcm to get it reprogrammed-not sure exactly how much, but would guess around $250-$350
            4)Subframe connectors-$200-$350
            5)Shock tower brace-$175-$200??? Not too sure, but somewhere around that

With added power, you do want stability.....thus the reason for suspension upgrades.

A good panhard rod never hurts, about $100-$150 bucks.
            If you want, get a higher stall converter if it's an auto...that'll run you some $$$ though

Rearend gears also help alot, probably about $500 installed.....that's next on the list for me.

Simple mods like a 160 thermostat and a TB bypass will free up a couple ponies.

Point is, figure out what you want out of your car first, then make your buying decisions afterwards.
            black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Working...
            X