The Pro 5.0 is in

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Pro 5.0 is in

I finally installed the Pro 5.0 and the short stick today and wow, what a difference. The hardest part about it was convincing my mom and stepdad to let me do it myself. Apparently they think i'm incompetent since i even get a lecture when i want to change my oil. They seem to think i'm going to mess up anything that i touch. I proved them wrong with my uncanny, god-like ability to tighten and loosen bolts lol. Good thing they're so supportive of me . Anyhow, my stepdad let me use his tools so that made life much easier. At first i was terrified because the only way i could get the shifter to line up properly was when the Pro 5.0 lettering was upside down so i thought i got the wrong shifter lol. The difference was amazing. Today, before i put it in, i parked at Sears (had to get some Loc-tite) but the spot was on an incline. I shut the car off and put it in 2nd so it wouldn't roll but the car just kept on rolling anyhow. For some reason, my stock shifter just couldn't seem to work right with 2nd gear. Aside from that, if i was in any other gear, i was still able to "jiggle" the shifter a little bit. The stock shifter was really sloppy. This new one though..... It puts a death grip on every gear. The throw is incredibly short. I can literally shift while only moving my wrist as opposed to stock which required my whole arm throwing the shifter into each gear. I think i might have gone too far with the 6" short stick. Seems a little too short but i'm sure i'll get used to it. This set up literally feels identical to the set up my dad had (for the grand total of 45 minutes that i drove his car for). I didn't really notice it helping me into 3rd but then again 3rd gear has never been a problem for me. I remember reading a long time ago on here that if you just point your hand to one 'o' clock and push, it will go right in every time so i just used that trick whenever i was in doubt. My step dad even took it for a ride and loved it.
    He jokingly said "let me take it to work one day". I replied "sure, when you let me take your Camaro to work". Of course he said no. He says it's too much car for me . When i told him that my dad let me crank in the Viper that puts down around 420 horsepower to the wheels, he goes "mine has 480". The scary part is that i think he seriously believes his bone stck '69 Z28 RS has that much power. Anyhow, the Pro 5.0 was a great upgrade and i'd strongly recommend it if your budget permits. Very rigid, crisp and precise shifts. Next step is to put that skip shift eliminator in. I have a list of things to do now so i just need to wait for money.
    Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
    SOLD- Kinda miss it
    94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
    SOLD- Good riddance!
    2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

sounds good man. I'd like to see pics of how a 5.0 with a short stick looks compared to mine.
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Very weird looking. Seems lopsided. It looks like the shifter is very far to the right even when it's in 1st gear. That made me nervous but i don't really care anymore. Next week i'll try and take some pictures of the beast. I can use my grandma's digital camera assuming i remember. I definitely like your idea of making your own short stick though!
      Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
      SOLD- Kinda miss it
      SOLD- Good riddance!
      2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

hmmm... That shifter should be slanted toward you. Tilted to the right you said?
        97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

Comment

errr, i might know what you're talking about. When I first put it in I was like jamming it to the left pushing it up.. Like... Am I in first or third? Seemed weird at first. That what ya mean?

Comment

It just looks like there's too much shift boot on one side and not enough on the other. When it's sitting in neutral between 3rd and 4th, it looks like it used to when i had it hovering in neutral right below reverse. I guess it could be my console or maybe it's just the boot. No matter, as long as it performs well then that's all i care about.
            SOLD- Kinda miss it
            SOLD- Good riddance!

Comment

Are you sure it isn't upside-down?
              Tracy
              2002 C5 M6 Convertible
              1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
              Current Mods:
              SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

I thought about that but it was the only possible way to get it in. They said to leave the car in neutral and then just drop the shifter in it's place. When i tried that with the lettering facing the right way, there was no possible way to get it to fit. I tried for about 20 minutes all while thinking they sent me the wrong shifter. I looked at the diagram from the instruction manual and it showed it being upside down. You can't tell because it's a view from the bottom but one side of the base is longer than the other. You can see a picture here- http://pro50shifters.meridian1.net/d...rd&NID=1448598 . Look at the second picture (of the shifter obviously). The silver base is shorter at the "top".
                SOLD- Kinda miss it
                SOLD- Good riddance!

Comment

Is it possible you have the lever bolted to the post on the shifter incorrectly? I had the Pro 5.0 with the Pro 5.0 stick cut down, and it was angled sharply to the left (driver's side) in order to keep it centered in the console opening.
                  Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Hmm, never thought of that. I didn't think so but maybe. There's loc-tite on the bolts now though so i guess that's not changing lol.

*EDIT*- I just cleaned my car out and took a second look at the shifter. I bolted the stick on correctly. The part of the console that holds the shift boot just favors one side more. I'll try and post pictures tonight but since i'm getting out of work at 8, it might be too dark. I'll see what i can do.
                    SOLD- Kinda miss it
                    SOLD- Good riddance!

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
                      I'd like to see pics of how a 5.0 with a short stick looks compared to mine.
                      It's telling me that the file is too large. Says it exceeds something or other by 2.00 MB. If someone could tell me how to fix that, i could post the pictures on saturday. I have one of the shifter with the shift boot and shift knob on, one with the smaller console taken out and no shift knob on (pretty much just the stick) and i have a shot of the back now that the seats are out.
                      SOLD- Kinda miss it
                      SOLD- Good riddance!

Comment

Shoot me an e-mail, I'll host them for ya and you can show the world .

Consider yourself PMed lol
                        Steve
                        79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                        87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                        93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                        http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Working...
                        X