new computer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new computer?

i know you all have seen my post about code 1641, i just have another question. i had dropped the car off at my mechanics, and he said he could do everythin he can think off, and he said that the only thing that he can thinks it might be is a bad computer, cause there is no signal being sent to the relays to turn them on. would that be my computer?
    thanks for the help
    chris

o and i tried turning the ac on to see if a fan would start runnin, but i doin think it did, cause the temp didnt get any cooler.

thanks again.
    1996 Trans Am WS6

A4, 3" VForce Catback, Corvette C6 rims, Slotted and Drilled Rotors, 160*stat, BMR SFC, HPP3, B&M Shift Kit.

Dude

Your going to have to open the hood and listen.

You can override the fans yourself in the relay box by using
    a wire to ground the wire that goes to the computer. that WILL turn
    them on.. if it does - then you might loook into computer problems.

If not - try wiring your fan to the battery.. THAT will turn them ON..
    IF not - REPLACE the fan motors. (has he considered that?)

Originally posted by redws6
    i know you all have seen my post about code 1641, i just have another question. i had dropped the car off at my mechanics, and he said he could do everythin he can think off, and he said that the only thing that he can thinks it might be is a bad computer, cause there is no signal being sent to the relays to turn them on. would that be my computer?
    thanks for the help
    chris

o and i tried turning the ac on to see if a fan would start runnin, but i doin think it did, cause the temp didnt get any cooler.

thanks again.

Comment

P1641 is set when the PCM checks the voltage on the fan relay circuit pins at the PCM. If the fans are supposed to be "on", it looks for near 0V in the pins. If the fans are supposed to be "off", it looks for 12 volts at the pins.

I don't see how the PCM's failure to command the fans on could set the code. It isn't consistant with the diagnostic.

The problem is in the wiring, from the PCM to the relays, or in the relays. Or, the system is not supplying +12V or a ground to the circuit. Do a continuity test from the PCM pins to the fan relays to check the wires.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

when i bought my car, the fuse box under the hood didnt have a cover. so do u think water could have damaged the whole fuse box?

thanks injuneer. when i had the relays apart the one day, i pushed the little lever inside (as if it got power) and they turned on. so it seems to me for whatever reason, there is no signal being sent to the relay to be turned on.
        1996 Trans Am WS6

A4, 3" VForce Catback, Corvette C6 rims, Slotted and Drilled Rotors, 160*stat, BMR SFC, HPP3, B&M Shift Kit.

Comment

fans

when i bought my car i had the same problem there was a recall for this in
          1996 something to do with the air pump relay and fans not for sure on the specifics. all i know is it would blow the fan fuse then the fans would not work.
          1996 formula mods include lt4 hot cam kit,3 angle valve job,shaved heads to bump up compression,fipk,foil,pulley,hooker long tubes,no cats,flowmaster american thunder,b&m short throw shifter,4.10 gears,ed wright programm summitt electric water pump,1Le bellows

Comment

Originally posted by steven antones
            when i bought my car i had the same problem there was a recall for this in
            1996 something to do with the air pump relay and fans not for sure on the specifics. all i know is it would blow the fan fuse then the fans would not work.
            did your car have to go in for the recall?

does anyone know about this?
            1996 Trans Am WS6

Comment

Working...
            X