Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of possibly selling the bird.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of possibly selling the bird.....

I "MAY" have the opportunity to buy a 64 Lemans Convertible in nice shape for little money. Right now this is in the "pipe dream" stages, but if this opportunity turns into something real, then I will probably have to sell the bird to pay for the project. I want to restore the lemans and either go with a stroked LT1/T56 drivetrain or go with a stout Pontiac 400 (or 455) build and a 2004R trans.....I dont know.....to be determined.

I would really hate to sell, but this Lemans would be a really cool project. The question is.....what do you think I could get for my bird? The engine has less than 3k on the rebuild and the new 12 bolt rear end. High retail is around 12 grand. But, that really would be on the low side for funding the lemans project (as I still owe on the bird) Would it be unreasonable to expect 14k considering the mods I have done to the car?
    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Typically, the mods do not add to the value of the car. That's not to say it is not possible for you to get more that book, but to do so you will need to find the right buyer, and that can take time.

I would recommend removing as many of the mods as you can and selling them seperate.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
      Typically, the mods do not add to the value of the car. That's not to say it is not possible for you to get more that book, but to do so you will need to find the right buyer, and that can take time.

I would recommend removing as many of the mods as you can and selling them seperate.
      I guess it would be a matter of finding a guy who would want a car already built, ready to go. Putting the car back to stock is not an option at this point......
      96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle

Comment

You could at least remove the TNT system. That would sell for a few hundred bucks.

If you removed the rearend and put a stock one back in its place you could get another grand for that.

$1500 for the two? You could also replace the stock T/A and LCAs.
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

I could remove the nitrous.....but I dont have the stock rear or suspension components. I bought the car with the suspension stuff done, but then replaced all the hotchkiss stuff with Spohn and BMR stuff......so I sold the hotchkiss stuff already...

I bet there is someone out there that is looking for a car already modded, especially if they couldnt do the same mods to a stock car for anywhere close to what im asking.....Really, if you were to build a stroker LT4 set up, that alone would run you 4-5k, if you did it yourself......

Comment

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
            what do you think I could get for my bird?
            Nothing. You have a '96 WS6 Formula. I see more Vipers and Ferrari's than a WS6 Formula (the '96 - '97 years). You take a ride down my street and you'll count how many 98+ WS6's you'll see. In fact, I saw 3 on the way to work this morning. The last time I've seen a '96 - '97 WS6 Formula was years ago.

Are 11's not fast enough for you? I say keep it.

*Notice I said WS6, not ram air.
            Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

Try this site- http://cars-on-line.com/ . It might fetch you a higher price than if you were to sell on auto trader or a local newspaper. Good luck
              Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
              SOLD- Kinda miss it
              94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
              SOLD- Good riddance!
              2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Taso
                Nothing. You have a '96 WS6 Formula. I see more Vipers and Ferrari's than a WS6 Formula (the '96 - '97 years). You take a ride down my street and you'll count how many 98+ WS6's you'll see. In fact, I saw 3 on the way to work this morning. The last time I've seen a '96 - '97 WS6 Formula was years ago.

Are 11's not fast enough for you? I say keep it.

*Notice I said WS6, not ram air.
                Yes, I know that I have a farely rare car, and like I said, this is just a "maybe" at this point. 11's are pretty fast.....but who here can say they are going "fast enough"? If I did what I wanted with the lemans, it wouldnt be any faster than my bird, but it would be 64 Lemans Conv. - a rather sweet ride. Im an "old" Pontiac guy at heart.....I would never sell my GTO.

Comment

sad day... but a 64' lemans next to that goat in your garage, that would be quite the spectacle. 11s werent easy to come by but drag racing was only so fun when you could get down there and had time. I'd go and get an old car, fix it up, give it some umph with an LT1 or something and cruise around webster with your lady and your new addition when your all done with the rebuild, id sell the camaro if i could find an old 59' bel air or something cool like that (and had a steady job and not stuck in college without a job other than working at the mall) either way i expect to see some kind of car when your decision is finished whether it be the lemans or the firebird.

Either way, you know you will love either car no matter what decision you make

Hope all is well,
                  joe

Comment

Sean, don't ever doubt for one minute that your car isn't worth more for being nicely modded. You can ALWAYS find someone who is looking for a nicely built car that is basically a turn key 11 second ride.

I would not even bother with putting on stock parts or removing the nitrous system. It would be a waste of time and just wouldn't make sense. You will find the right person that will appreciate what you have done with the car and will be smart enough to realize that aftermarket parts aren't cheap and actually add value to the car. Every car I have ever owned in my life that was significantly modded always sold for more than the fair market value.

Put your car in the "Vehicle Classifieds" section over on www.ls1tech.com

That site has tons of visitors and frequent regular traffic. Good luck Sean!

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
                      Sean, don't ever doubt for one minute that your car isn't worth more for being nicely modded. You can ALWAYS find someone who is looking for a nicely built car that is basically a turn key 11 second ride.

I would not even bother with putting on stock parts or removing the nitrous system. It would be a waste of time and just wouldn't make sense. You will find the right person that will appreciate what you have done with the car and will be smart enough to realize that aftermarket parts aren't cheap and actually add value to the car. Every car I have ever owned in my life that was significantly modded always sold for more than the fair market value.

I once tried to sell a well modded Camaro locally and got no calls. That was before the internet, so maybe advertising nationally would bring better results. I ended up selling it at a big loss. It could be that the tree-hugging hippie liberals in my town aren't looking for V8 muscle, too. I'm sure a different regional market could make it easier, advertising nationally.

Good luck!
                      Tracy
                      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                      Current Mods:

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
                        I once tried to sell a well modded Camaro locally and got no calls. That was before the internet, so maybe advertising nationally would bring better results. I ended up selling it at a big loss. It could be that the tree-hugging hippie liberals in my town aren't looking for V8 muscle, too. I'm sure a different regional market could make it easier, advertising nationally.

Good luck!
                        Yes, I can see both sides of the arguement. I know I could find someone, as kevin says, but I may have to wait on it. I bought the car with a number of mods done to it (most have been upgraded or changed since), and I paid book value for the car. But, the car wasnt running quite right and had a check engine light and stuff, so that probably scared other people off.....

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA

I registered over there and I will post it for sale if I do decide to sell....

Comment

Cars come and go bro. If you want the Le Mans... go for it. All I have to say about this topic is... you have a Gorgeous F-Body that is capable of 11's... My WS6 doesn't hasn't even been running right lately and i would probably have a hard time letting her go even if i could get what i wanted for her. My only suggestion is spend a day washing, detailing, and zaino'ing your bird... THEN... see if you still want to sell her. Its amazing how much of a newfound love i get for my car when i do that.
                            1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

Comment

It's going to be interesting to see what kind of response you get. Every once in a while, when I'm "having a bad day" I think maybe I'll sell the Formula, the trailer and the truck and give up the whole hobby. I figure that I would ask something like $15K for the car, but I doubt I could get it. I've actually taken the time to put together a list of what I could sell off the car, and I think I could do just as well or better by "piecing it out."
                              Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
                              X