Moment of Silence for Herb Brooks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moment of Silence for Herb Brooks

Hockey coaching legend Herb Brooks died yesterday in a car crash at the age of 66. The former University of Minnesota hockey coach is best known for having lead the 1980 USA Olympic Hockey team to beating the Soviet Red Army team at the Lake Placid Olympic Games in the "Miracle on Ice" game. There may never again be an upset as huge, or as meaningful as that one in sports again... ever.

Yesterday I told my mother how much I wish I could have been alive to see that game and to understand the importance of it at that time. She said, "ahh... there will be other great sports moments too... you get to witness things like Tiger Woods."

I told her, "Mom, when Tiger Woods wins every tournament by 20 strokes for the next 5 years in a row... then, he will be as good as this Russian team was. And then when an 18 year old college kid comes out of nowhere and beats him in the Masters... then... you will see an upset that equals it. BUT, it still won't represent the Cold War between the world's two superpowers -- or give a nation 'in crisis' something to rally behind."

I get chills just thinking about it, and I wasn't even alive to see it.

God bless, Herb. Moment of silence
    .................................................. .......
    .................................................. ...............
    .................................................. .......................

Thank you.
    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

I was nine when that happened. I remember hearing all about it, but I was still too young to really understand what was going on.
    '77 K5 rock-crawler project
    '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
    '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
    '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
    '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
    My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Comment

there are some advantages to being an old f--t. I rememebr watching that game and how excited Al Michaels got announgin teh end, and when Eruzione brought the whole team on teh paltform for teh medal award. The show about it has been playing on HBO recnetly, might want to cathc it.
      2000 Z-28 Convertible, neutral leather interior and neutral top, hotchkis STB, SLP Bowtie Grill, WhisperLid, K&N, cold air induction

Comment

Originally posted by 00 Ragtop Z
        there are some advantages to being an old f--t. I rememebr watching that game and how excited Al Michaels got announgin teh end, and when Eruzione brought the whole team on teh paltform for teh medal award. The show about it has been playing on HBO recnetly, might want to cathc it.

Yeah... ironically, I saw it yesterday.
        Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Originally posted by 00 Ragtop Z
          I also heard it will be on this Thursday night, not sure what channel or time though!
          NEW: 2004 Nissan 350Z Touring
          1992 Caviler Z24 -Winter car
          1999 Firebird
          Ram air hood
          Full Borla catback exhaust
          K&N air filter
          Headers
          WS6 air box
          Shift kit
          Intake

Comment

Working...