LT1 oil leak adventure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LT1 oil leak adventure

I've got the intake just about ready to remove and what do I find? The drivers side valve cover gasket is not under the valve cover along the top edge. It is hanging out, along the edge of the intake manifold. This does not account for the oil running down the passenger side rear of the block, but it does make me want to replace the valve cover gaskets in addition to resealing the intake manifold. Has anyone else run accross this? Are there any special tips on replacing the valve cover gaskets?

Also I purchased a "muffler bandage". I intend to use it to insulate the EGR tube so it gives off less radiant heat. It is a heat resistant, fireproof cover with aluminum tape to wrap it with and wire to reinfoce the job when done. Once it is insulated it will no longe dry out the seal at the rear edge of the intake. It seems like a "rigged" fix, but I'll cut it to fit neatly and it will look professional.

Feedback?
    Tracy

Unlikely it was that way while the engine was together. Most of the time, the valve cover gasket doesn't stay put as the cover itself is removed and it pops out of place. Evidently the factory didn't recommend any rtv to hold it in place on assembly. Whever I reinstalled them, I would clean the flat gasket surface of the valve cover really well and apply a thing bead of rtv and place the gasket on the cover, smooth it out so that the gasket is nice and even. I let it dry a few hours and install. Evey time I've pulled the valve cover after that, the gasket still stays tacked to the valve cover. Good idea with the insulation too.

Comment

Actually, I havent even begun removing the intake or the valve covers yet. I've been working on getting wires and hoses out of the way. The gasket is hanging out from the factory! (or whoever worked on it last) It is a minty 94 M6 conv. from Texas with only 50K on it. I doubt it has ever been torn apart before, but who knows.

I'll take your advise on gluing the new gaskets to the covers before installing them.

Thanks!
      Tracy

Comment

Working...
      X