Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best replacement for stock auto trans mount..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best replacement for stock auto trans mount..

I got an energy suspension mount on right now and its rattling my teeth loose. I HATE it!!!! I tore three OEM trans mounts before installing this ES mount. its got to go. What can I replace it with that's not going to annoy the crap out of me but still hold up to some abuse
    Ed
    1995 Z28 A4, SCC Ultra Z Hood with Air box/K&N filter, Granatelli Maf Sensor/Fernco bellow/Hotchkis STB/white face gauges/LT4 Knock module/March pullies/160* stat without Hypertech Tunning/Borla 3" y-pipe/HI Flo 3" cat/SLP Loudmouth/GM Motive 3.73's + TA rear end girdle/Afs ZR1's silver painted with polished lip 17x9.5 front & 17x11 out back/98 tail light's/BMR SFC's/spohn Lca's/spohn relo brackets & spohn adj. panhard rod " coated mid lenght pacesetters headers + 1.6rr + custom pc tuning going on soon hopefully "

Back in august i got one from autozone (either polygraphite or polyurethane...can't remember), and haven't had one problem since. I went in and they had a stock replacement or the other one....the one I got. Costed me less than 20 bucks, couldn't have asked for more....and it's had its fair share of abuse as well
    black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

I have an energy suspension trans mount.......no problems so far!? I wonder if it was defective from the beginning?

'95 TA A4, 118000 on the clock!
      Borla, Strange 3.73's, SLP CAI, Vortech elbow,AFS Z06 Wheels,White gauges/blue backlighting,blue custom interior,MBA Shift knob,MadZ28 Tune, Intrax springs, Bilstein shocks, ES Trans Mount, Honeycomb taillights.

13.685@102.11

Comment

I think complaints about the ES poly mount causing vibration are fairly common with the A4 cars. It has been suggested that because the ES mount is taller than the stock mount (see Shoebox's Tech Pages for photo comparing stock - 1LE - ES poly), that it causes driveshaft misalignment, which makes all the vibration worse.

I don't know if that is the cause of your problems, but Spohn Performance sells a poly mount of the correct height for the F-Body.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Fred, could that driveshaft misalignment damage anything? I have that vibration too...switching to the 1LE DS seemed to slightly decrease it, but around 65-70, I still definitely feel it. I've already gone through 1 pinion seal. Thanks...
          94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

I tried a prothane mount on my automatic and it was awful. I went and got one for a Caprice Classic police car from GM. It lasted me for several years before I put the M6 in. When I was having all of the clutch problems, I put an Energy Suspension one in and it was quiet as a mouse but that could be to it being a M6 rather than an A4.

The part number for the Caprice police car mount is 22188145 http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/ PRICE: $33.84 . Here is a picture of it sitting next to the Prothane.
            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Screwing up the driveshaft angles will shorten the life of the u-joints, and might contribute to tranny output shaft or rear axle pinion shaft bearing and/or seal problems.

On the ES, are you sure you installed it in the correct direction - the "curved" edge is supposed to go facing a specific direction. Did you install the pre-load plate?

I have an 8 year old ES poly mount.... first it sat under my M6 (very minor slight increase in shift lever "whirr"), then under my TH400 (no problems) and now under the Gear Vendor O/D that replace the tailshaft on the TH400 (no problems). I know that the height of the mount was carefully measured to level the engine when the tranny cross-member was altered to support the TH400.

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Fred, I finally took a look under the car and saw that I did install the spacer plate. Since it was about 3/16" taller with the plate, I removed it...and now it's the exact stock height.

I have yet to test drive it though. Can anything go wrong now that I removed the plate? Thanks a bunch.
                94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Well, for 2 days I've driven it without the preload plate, and oh my goodness...what a difference. I haven't taken it past 50 yet, but the acceleration is so smooth. Previously, I could hear the jack/spare tire in the back rattling on any decent acceleration. Now, I can't hear anything, and it seems like I'm driving a new car. I know just that plate didn't make a difference to others, but Ed, if you can remove the plate with no side-effects, I would highly suggest it....that is, if your car is rattling that much.

Comment

Working...
                  X