About that time, eh? OPTI.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About that time, eh? OPTI.

Startups take a good 5 seconds of cranking. Just started doing this couple days ago. I thought it might have been cause the car sat in the cold overnight, but it's happening just about every time I start the car now. Car has 88K on it. I'm considering putting a new OPTI on when I'm already digging into everything else... I might go with the advance one, lifetime. Never have to buy another one again. I have heard of guys that are on their third one with under 200K on their cars. Some have went through more. Those things are a joke. Suprised there was never a recall...
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Before you replace the opti, try a new coil. It could just be a weak coil making a weak spark.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
      I have heard of guys that are on their third one with under 200K on their cars. Some have went through more.
      Which makes me paranoid about my FACTORY one with over 120k mi. on it. Needless to say, I get scared sometimes
      Steve
      79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
      87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
      93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
      http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Would installing a new Opti restore some lost power? I have 87000 miles now and was wondering if I should buy one just to be safe. Or should i just not worry? Thanks
        1996 Z-28 6 speed, Airfoil, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster muffler, Motive 3.73 gears, BBK shorty headers, cut-out, LS1 Driveshaft, no power options (Rare), Prothane tranny mount, MSD 8.5mm wires, Accel U-Groove Plugs, Chrome hurst short throw, TB Bypass, ES Torque arm mount, BMR subframe connectors (weld-in), Lt4 Knock Module, Descreened MAF, '02 SS wheels, Pioneer HU, MTX & JL amps, 2 12" JBL's, T-Top Conversion!

Comment

Mine has been doing that for over year now, funny thing is if I shut off my car and come back say 30 minutes later it cranks right up.
          1995 Camaro Z28 Convertible.

Comment

Startups take a good 5 seconds of cranking. Just started doing this couple days ago. I thought it might have been cause the car sat in the cold overnight, but it's happening just about every time I start the car now. Car has 88K on it. I'm considering putting a new OPTI on when I'm already digging into everything else... I might go with the advance one, lifetime. Never have to buy another one again. I have heard of guys that are on their third one with under 200K on their cars. Some have went through more. Those things are a joke. Suprised there was never a recall...
            Your problem will be more than likely a fuel related issue, and NOT opti related. If the opti was bad, you'd be experiencing problems while driving the car and not just at startup. When the fuel pump begins to go south, it fails to maintain proper line pressure while the car is turned off, which would explain the extra cranks. It's basically taking the pump those 5 seconds to build up enough fuel pressure to start the car. Believe me I know! I went through the exact same thing not long ago, and a new fuel pump was all it took. Pray that it isnt the fuel pump because the job itself is a total nightmare if working with floor stands

Moreover, a clogged fuel filter could also be causing the problem but is not likely. I recommend you check the fuel pressure before anything else. I think 42psi is about right for a good pump with the ignition key turned on (car off). Vega fan, this applies to you too! Your problem definetly sounds like a bad pump. Just make sure you guys get this taken care of before the pump craps out and leaves you stranded somewhere!
            1996 Arctic White Z28, A4, K&N CAI, TByrne MAF ends, BBK Twin-52mm TB, TB Bypass, SLP 1 3/4" Shorties, Richmond 3.42's, Dynomax Bullet Muffler W/Turn Down, BMR Adj. Panhard, EIBACH Pro-Kit, AFS ZR1 Wheels W/17x11" out back!

Comment

I agree with the fuel pump. You could try cycleing your ingnition key about 3 times before trying to crank.. turn key to on, wait about 3 secs, turn key off, repeat.....what this will do is build up the pressure in the system again, then when you turn the key to engague the start, it should crank right up......

I had a Saturn with a bad fuel pump, i had to do that for a couple of weeks...Good luck
              95 Trans Am, K&N CAI, LT4 knock module, Flowmaster exhuast, Grant GT steering wheel, Sony head unit w/sub, Autometer Gauges

Comment

Fuel pump is brand new, walbro 255 lph. Just put it in about a month ago....
                97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

Comment

Fuel pump is brand new, walbro 255 lph. Just put it in about a month ago....
                  I seem to recall a problem with the Walbro fuel pumps and maintaining adequate fuel pressure. Plus, if the install was botched in any way, you'll have a tough time keeping fuel pressure as well. Check your fuel filter as well. When I first got the Z, it wouldn't start immediately. I replaced the fuel filter, all better.
                  Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve93Z
                    I seem to recall a problem with the Walbro fuel pumps and maintaining adequate fuel pressure. Plus, if the install was botched in any way, you'll have a tough time keeping fuel pressure as well. Check your fuel filter as well. When I first got the Z, it wouldn't start immediately. I replaced the fuel filter, all better.
                    Is there an under-hood filter? I replaced the sock filter on the pump with a brand new one.

Comment

Is there an under-hood filter? I replaced the sock filter on the pump with a brand new one.
                      The fuel filter is located near the driver's side of the rear sub-frame. Looks like a small cylinder with a line in either end. Runs about $10 at your local parts store and takes a couple min. to replace. Check your fuel pressure first though.
                      Steve

Comment

I know I need to find out what is wrong soon. I tried to start my car and when I let off the key it basically clunked over 3 times and just died.

Comment

Also my SES light seems to come on at random times now too.

Comment

Working...
                          X