nfb: time is running out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nfb: time is running out

if anybody..... knows anybody, that wants two very low content wolfdogs...

time is running out in the foster home i placed these two. they will end up having to go to a shelter...and then........you know what the outcome will be.

http://www.renokeo.com/jons.html

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Well I did some research and unfortunately they are illegal in Georgia. They are also trying to outlaw pit bulls and rotys. You know the poodle is the most likely dog to bite someone. I wonder why they don't make them illegal. They should be on looks alone.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
      Well I did some research and unfortunately they are illegal in Georgia. They are also trying to outlaw pit bulls and rotys. You know the poodle is the most likely dog to bite someone. I wonder why they don't make them illegal. They should be on looks alone.
      i know they are illeagal in GA. we just helped rescue 12 at a breeders down there, it was in the paper.

actualy, the National Dog Bite List, prepared in conjunction with Fish and Wildlife, PTEA, the medical proffession, and APHIS is this:

1. cocker spaniel
      2. pit bull
      3. rotweiller
      4. German Shep.
      5. Husky
      6. Wolfdog
      7. Malimute

The dogs most likely to bite
      A 1997 study of dog bite fatalities in the years 1979 through 1996 revealed that the following breeds had killed one or more persons: pit bulls, Rottweilers, German shepherds, huskies, Alaskan malamutes, Doberman pinschers, chows, Great Danes, St. Bernards and Akitas. (Dog Bite Related Fatalities," Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, May 30, 1997, Vol. 46, No. 21, pp. 463 et. seq.) The experience of the author of Dog Bite Law confirms that the dogs on the CDC list are the most frequent attackers of human beings.

Owners of such dogs should be aware that if their dogs attack a person, the attacks may be scrutinized by law enforcement. The reason is that irresponsible behavior with or toward a dog whose breed is known to bite has caused a rising and unacceptable injury and death toll, which authorities are determined to stem.

"Irresponsible behavior" is defined differently from place to place. In California, for example, it can be a felony for a person to possess a dog trained to fight, attack or kill that, because of the owner's lack of ordinary care, bites two people or seriously injures one person. (See Felony prosecution of attack dog owners.)

In different parts of the United States at the current time, there are a number of parents who are on trial for manslaughter because their dogs have killed their children. In these cases, the prosecutors have taken the position that the parents behaved irresponsibly because they left their children in the company of dogs most likely to bite.

There is an 8 out of 10 chance that a biting dog is male. (Humane Society of the United States.)

Although pit bull mixes and Rottweillers are most likely to kill and seriously maim, fatal attacks since 1975 have been attributed to dogs from at least 30 breeds.

The most horrifying example of the lack of breed predictibility is the October 2000 death of a 6-week-old baby, which was killed by her family's Pomeranian dog. The average weight of a Pomeranian is about 4 pounds, and they are not thought of as a dangerous breed. Note, however, that they were bred to be watchdogs! The baby's uncle left the infant and the dog on a bed while the uncle prepared her bottle in the kitchen. Upon his return, the dog was mauling the baby, who died shortly afterwards. ("Baby Girl Killed by Family Dog," Los Angeles Times, Monday, October 9, 2000, Home Edition, Metro Section, Page B-5.)

In all fairness, therefore, it must be noted that:

* Any dog, treated harshly or trained to attack, may bite a person. Any dog can be turned into a dangerous dog. The owner most often is responsible -- not the breed, and not the dog.
      * An irresponsible owner or dog handler might create a situation that places another person in danger by a dog, without the dog itself being dangerous, as in the case of the Pomeranian that killed the infant (see above).
      * Any individual dog may be a good, loving pet, even though its breed is considered to be likely to bite. A responsible owner can win the love and respect of a dog, no matter its breed. One cannot look at an individual dog, recognize its breed, and then state whether or not it is going to attack.

Children are the most frequent targets
      Studies of dog bite injuries have reported that:

* The median age of patients bitten was 15 years, with children, especially boys aged 5 to 9 years, having the highest incidence rate
      * The odds that a bite victim will be a child are 3.2 to 1. (CDC.)
      * Children seen in emergency departments were more likely than older persons to be bitten on the face, neck, and head. 77% of injuries to children under 10 years old are facial.
      * Severe injuries occur almost exclusively in children less than 10 years of age.
      * The majority of dog attacks (61%) happen at home or in a familiar place.
      * The vast majority of biting dogs (77%) belong to the victim's family or a friend.
      * When a child less than 4 years old is the victim, the family dog was the attacker half the time (47%), and the attack almost always happened in the family home (90%).

Here's how dog bites rank among other common causes of childhood emergency-room injuries, according to the American Medical Association:

Cause of injury Emergency room incidents anually
      Baseball/softball 404,364
      Dog bites 333,687
      Playground accidents 268,810
      All-terrain vehicles, mopeds, etc 125,136
      Volleyball 97,523
      Inline skating 75,994
      Horseback riding 71,162
      Baby walkers 28,000
      Skateboards 25,486

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Comment

That's weird because I just read an article last week that had a new list published this year that had Poodles as #1. Actually the article had 2 list. One was the most likely to bite and one was the most likely to cause serious injury. The 2 lists looked totally different. Wolfdog wasn't even on either list. I wish I could remember where the article was.
        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Wow I am surprised such nice looking dogs cannot find a home

I'd take them but I live in an apt and I am unsure of Wolfdogs in RI . Would be kind of nice if there was a site that had all the states that would or wouldnt allow wolfdogs. It would make possible adoptions that much easier

wish you good luck in finding them a home in time
          Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
          Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
          pics and info

Comment

It is a bummer that German Shepherd Dogs are on the list. The only reason for this is the idiots who screwed up their breeding in the US. A properly bred GSD, from German lines, such as my dog, Kodiak, is even tempered, playful, and does exactly what he is told. The dog rarely barks unless there is a threat to his property or family; I even live on a major street with a sidewalk next to my fence. As soon as someone physically steps on the yard, you will hear two loud barks, and he stands on point for instruction. He is very responsive and playful with strangers as long as they are invited. When I went to buy Kodi, his dad was on his back letting me scratch his belly within five minutes of me meeting him. Kodiak always backs down when playing with my 4yr old, and if my son trips or something Kodiak feels just awful. I can put my finger between his teeth or say "let go" when he has a rawhide or a toy, and he lets it go without complaint until I am willing to give it back. He won't eat any of his treats or food unless I leave or say it is OK to start. I didn't teach him any of this; he just knows how he is suppose to behave.

On the other hand, there are a lot of Americanized GSDs who should be put to sleep; it is pretty easy to tell at about five months. There nerves are shaky, they can't pay attention to instruction, and they snap easily. I spent a lot of time looking for Kodi, and there is a lot of cr@ppy GSDs out there. I think any of these big dogs on the list require two things from their owner. The first is a dominant, direct, but loving hand...if the owner can't prove they are the leader and spend time with them so they don't get bored, they should not own one of these dogs. The second, and most difficult, they need to be willing to put down a dog with bad nerves regardless of how much money, time, or love they have into the dog.
            '77 K5 rock-crawler project
            '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
            '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
            '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
            '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
            My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
            Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Wolfman,

What do this dogs need to be happy? What I mean is do they need a huge house or a huge peice of property. I am just married and bought a new house (not real big, and only about a 1/2 acre in a development)and have always wanted a wolfdog since I can remember but Im not sure about these type of breeds and if I did take them in Id want to make sure it was the right thing for not only me but them too.

p.s. also have to convince the new boss lady

97 ws6 6sp 40k miles 355 cubes strange s 60 rear 373 gears. other stuff! 360rwhp

current
              2006 GMC Denali 6.0 AWD!!!! hers

Comment

Too bad I cant pull them across the Canadian border or Id take em.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
                Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
                6.2L/382.97 ci
                Custom PROM Dyno tuned
                WCT-5 speed
                BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
                Boss MS 18" Rims
                Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
                Custom Dual exhaust
                1LE upgrade
                Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
                In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

Originally posted by thomas
                  Wolfman,

What do this dogs need to be happy? What I mean is do they need a huge house or a huge peice of property. I am just married and bought a new house (not real big, and only about a 1/2 acre in a development)and have always wanted a wolfdog since I can remember but Im not sure about these type of breeds and if I did take them in Id want to make sure it was the right thing for not only me but them too.

p.s. also have to convince the new boss lady
                  containment, Tom. gotta have proper containment. you cant let em run loose . they need a boundry. minimum fence height of 6 foot.

Comment

So a 6ft high wooden fence would be ok?

97 ws6 6sp 40k miles 355 cubes strange s 60 rear 373 gears. other stuff! 360rwhp

current
                    2006 GMC Denali 6.0 AWD!!!! hers

Comment

Working...
                    X