Window Motor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window Motor

Both of my window motors are about dead. Has anyone ever changed one and is it difficult to do? I know the spring in there is really tough to deal with so I am debating on whether or not trying to change it myself or just take it into the dealer. Keep in mind they want $200 per window to install it. Seems kinda steep. What do you guys think?
    NEW: 2004 Nissan 350Z Touring
    1992 Caviler Z24 -Winter car
    1999 Firebird
    Ram air hood
    Full Borla catback exhaust
    K&N air filter
    Headers
    WS6 air box
    Shift kit
    Intake

It is a brease to do. You will need a hand drill to drill out the rivets though.

http://csce.uark.edu/~jgbertr/rb/alt...ndowmotor.html
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
      It is a brease to do. You will need a hand drill to drill out the rivets though.

http://csce.uark.edu/~jgbertr/rb/alt...ndowmotor.html
      Hey thanks...I'll probably give it a whirl tonight. Wish me luck!
      1999 Firebird
      Ram air hood
      K&N air filter
      Headers
      WS6 air box
      Shift kit
      Intake

Comment

Just make sure you apply a good amount of white lithuim grease to the new gear when you install the new motor. It will help keep everything lubricated and prevent premature burnout.

Comment

Curious...

Would silicone or graphite be better? Being that Lithium Grease attracts all sorts of dirt and all.
          Joe K.
          '11 BMW 328i
          '10 Matrix S AWD
          Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Curious...

Are there any window motors we can install that DON'T suck?
            Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Got mine at an Advanced Auto Parts store. 2nd time replacing it. Good thing it has a warranty... brought the old one in with the receipt, and the gave me me a new one, no hassles.
              1995 Firebird Formula
              (A4 3.23)Ram Air w/ K&N, TransGo Shift Kit w/3 washers ,SLP~Shorty headers, LoudMouth, Air Foil, LineLocks. Catco Cat. Hypertech 160. TB Bypass. MSD~8.5mm. Walbro 255lph. FT MAF ends. LT4KM. BMR~Adj LCA's, Rear sway, Panhard rod. HAL QA1 rear shocks. Random Tech adj TQ arm. Nitto NT555R's. Covered in Zaino. 13.466@103.85 N/A. [1.948 60' 13.410 @ 102.66 11/20/05]

Comment

Sounds like we should start modding and suping up our window motors
                Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Comment

I replaced mine with a Pep Boy's lifetime warranty unit back in '00 and no problems since. The passenger side is still the factory one. 124K miles.

Comment

It's a little ridiculous to have to change both motors when the car only has 32k on it. I'll make sure mines comes with a warranty. So Advanced Auto Parts does give you a warranty then? I know Auto Zone won't, so that's good to know! Thanks
                    1999 Firebird
                    Ram air hood
                    K&N air filter
                    Headers
                    WS6 air box
                    Shift kit
                    Intake

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                      ..... The passenger side is still the factory one. 124K miles.

Comment

..... The passenger side is still the factory one. 124K miles.
                        My driver's side just past 102K....Gimme a few years and I may outlast ya!
                        Joe K.
                        '11 BMW 328i
                        '10 Matrix S AWD
                        Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

My passenger is the original factory one

But, shortly after I got the car I the drivers side failed. I hit 62,000mi 2weeks ago and had to replace the drivers side again. Looks like I got about 2 years out of the Advance Auto Parts motor. Only took me like 30mins, since all the drilling is in the first install. Just remember to save your receipt.
                          1995 Firebird Formula
                          (A4 3.23)Ram Air w/ K&N, TransGo Shift Kit w/3 washers ,SLP~Shorty headers, LoudMouth, Air Foil, LineLocks. Catco Cat. Hypertech 160. TB Bypass. MSD~8.5mm. Walbro 255lph. FT MAF ends. LT4KM. BMR~Adj LCA's, Rear sway, Panhard rod. HAL QA1 rear shocks. Random Tech adj TQ arm. Nitto NT555R's. Covered in Zaino. 13.466@103.85 N/A. [1.948 60' 13.410 @ 102.66 11/20/05]

Comment

no power window

yeah mine doesn't have power windows, but i want to put some in there. i got a friend that good with wires and all. i can get get parts off old firebird so, anyone think it will work or be worth the time.

97 Firebird, 3.8 5 spd

Comment

The '94 Z28 that I just purchased needs both sides done.

They work but keep stopping as they go up ... gotta wait untill the relay cools & hit it again ... and again .. and....

REALLY nice when going through toll booths ....in a downpour.....!

Had the passenger side on the '00 done within the first year.. under warranty..

SHEESH !!!!!!

Gordon Arnold - '00 WS6 T/A - Sold

Comment

Working...
                              X