I want bigger brakes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want bigger brakes

What is a good set of rotors? I was thinking vette rotors and calipers. Would it work? Simple bolt on?
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

I'm no expert, but I do believe that you need 17 inch rims to put on vette brakes. From what I've heard, doing a simple LS1 front brake conversion is easy and makes a lot of difference.
    black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

I am hoping I'm not the only one that has bad brakes. The brakes on my 97 LT1 are awful. That car does not stop very well at all.
      97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

LS1 brakes are probably going to be your best bet. They are cheap, easy to find and work great. I even managed to fit them on my 3rd gen!!
        No F-Body right now

Comment

go ls1. too bad gt rotors are not still in buss. i put his stuff on our two birds... and the diff was night an day....even some ls1 guys couldnt believe how well we stopped..........

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
          Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
          sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Or you can just get better tires. Right Ken? haha
            No F-Body right now

Comment

I recall reading back in 1992 that the road tests for the new LT1 4th gen Camaro had it stopping faster than a 1992 Corvette.

Are the LT1 brakes really that bad? Mine stops fast enough to make the blood rush to my face.
              Tracy
              2002 C5 M6 Convertible
              1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
              Current Mods:
              SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
                Are the LT1 brakes really that bad? Mine stops fast enough to make the blood rush to my face.
                I'm only 19 and haven't driven as many different types of cars as other people on this forum obviously. I can say though, that my car stops pretty decently. I wouldn't go as far as saying it's great, but I definitely wouldn't call it bad either. I've driven better and worse as far as braking, but probably more worse braking than better.

I'll probably upgrade to LS1's though fairly soon...can't go wrong with better braking.
                black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

LT1 brakes are fine as long as you have a good set of pads. The difference is not very big between my 94 firebird formula and my brothers 99 Z28 camaro. The main difference would be if you did something such as auto x then the brake fade with lt1's would be much worse than the ls1 brakes.
                  1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Working...
                  X