NFB: New Quad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFB: New Quad

Well I bought a new quad on friday. Only bad part about it is the breakin period.

Raptor 660R Special edition. Aluminum skid plate, K&N filter, Jet kit and two Bear claws for the back.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
    Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
    6.2L/382.97 ci
    Custom PROM Dyno tuned
    WCT-5 speed
    BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
    Boss MS 18" Rims
    Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
    Custom Dual exhaust
    1LE upgrade
    Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
    In a constant state of upgrade!

I myself am quite partial to the YFZ450
    1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

Comment

Originally posted by ws6drbob
      I myself am quite partial to the YFZ450
      I would have got that but I like reverse and its to fast for the wife. The 660 has a faster top speed, but takes a few seconds longer to get there. My budy has a YZF450 and he can beat me in a race from a stand still but on a gravel road I can take him
      Plus I do alot of riding in the mountains and I needed the lower gears and more torque.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
      6.2L/382.97 ci
      Custom PROM Dyno tuned
      WCT-5 speed
      BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
      Boss MS 18" Rims
      Custom Dual exhaust
      1LE upgrade

Comment

Originally posted by DeWynter
        I would have got that but I like reverse and its to fast for the wife. The 660 has a faster top speed, but takes a few seconds longer to get there. My budy has a YZF450 and he can beat me in a race from a stand still but on a gravel road I can take him
        Plus I do alot of riding in the mountains and I needed the lower gears and more torque.
        Hehe thats cool man to each his own. I got a buddy that has about 116 acres of farm/swamp/woods that me and go to any time we wanna ride. We have actually thought of making a video of us goofing off and doing tricks. Between me and him riding since we were about 11 years old we have been to the hospital a combined total of 3 times lol. I ended up with about 57 stitches in my left thigh the last time i went to the E.R.
        1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

Comment

Well I bought a new quad on friday. Only bad part about it is the breakin period.

Raptor 660R Special edition. Aluminum skid plate, K&N filter, Jet kit and two Bear claws for the back.
          You know, they are only that clean once.
          Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Ya its already covered in mud and water spots, I still have tons of snow, so its stayin pretty clean, but not for long. Was out for a ride with my froends yesterday and we were down on a well site that had been snow plowed out and we could see grass still stickin up through the snow where they hadnt plowed so we though we could go drive there. Well I just jumped over the snow ridge into 3 feet of powder, 20 minutes later and alot of swearing and we were all outa the snow again

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
            6.2L/382.97 ci
            Custom PROM Dyno tuned
            WCT-5 speed
            BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
            Boss MS 18" Rims
            Custom Dual exhaust
            1LE upgrade

Comment

Picked up my Stage two Jet kit and the K&N Air filter today. Gota modify the air box lid to take advantage of the filter and jet kit. Hope to put it in tonight or tomorrow! Supposed to make an 8% increse in power across the curve, not much but it all helps.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
              6.2L/382.97 ci
              Custom PROM Dyno tuned
              WCT-5 speed
              BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
              Boss MS 18" Rims
              Custom Dual exhaust
              1LE upgrade

Comment

What is the general concensus on quads? Is the sport (2wd) a better investment than say maybe a Polaris 800 EFI???
                1983 Z28 R.I.P. 406 Stock Bottom End(threw a rod through the oil pan), S/R Torquer Heads, Performer Rpm Intake, Holley 780 Vac Sec,3.73 7.5 10 bolt, Best ET 13.17@106mph

Comment

Originally posted by scottyz28
                  What is the general concensus on quads? Is the sport (2wd) a better investment than say maybe a Polaris 800 EFI???
                  I would say there is no general consensus. You need to buy the quad for what you want to do with it, and your riding experience level. I am personaly not a fan of Polaris, I think they are overly heavy and break down way to much (Quads anyways) Take for instance the Predator, same class as the Raptor, the predator is 418 dry and only 500 cc while the raptor is 397 and 660 cc. The raptor is light years faster bigger and lighter The Raptor isnt the fastest or the lightest, but it sure has alot of power. If you like to go fast get a Honda 450R with 6 gears forward no reverse nor electric start. Or the 450 yamaha with 6 gears forward no reverse, but it does have elec. start or a raptor 660R with 5 gears forward reverse and elec. start. If you like to drive in big mud holes get a grizzly 660 or the honda forman/rubicon/rincon. just my opinion

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
                  6.2L/382.97 ci
                  Custom PROM Dyno tuned
                  WCT-5 speed
                  BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
                  Boss MS 18" Rims
                  Custom Dual exhaust
                  1LE upgrade

Comment

Picked up my Stage two Jet kit and the K&N Air filter today. Gota modify the air box lid to take advantage of the filter and jet kit. Hope to put it in tonight or tomorrow! Supposed to make an 8% increse in power across the curve, not much but it all helps.
                    Thats a sign of a true gear head not even broken in and adding performance parts lol. I love riding mine just haven't had a whole lot of time lately with college, cars, and the girlfriend. I have over 1000 acres of mountain ground to ride on with some really nice high speed roads and some really good fourwheeling ones too. Are you more into agressive trail riding or do you like the more rocky mud hole type trails?
                    1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Originally posted by 94 formula
                      Thats a sign of a true gear head not even broken in and adding performance parts lol. I love riding mine just haven't had a whole lot of time lately with college, cars, and the girlfriend. I have over 1000 acres of mountain ground to ride on with some really nice high speed roads and some really good fourwheeling ones too. Are you more into agressive trail riding or do you like the more rocky mud hole type trails?
                      I'm into it all, I have a 97 wolverine that can handle a little mud, and the Raptor can go almost as many places as all my budies 4x4 quads. I like tha speed, but I also like to go climb over rocks and stuff too. Its really wet here right now with all the spring run off, so there is alot of nice water holes and mud. I can hardly even recognize my quad any more LOL.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
                      6.2L/382.97 ci
                      Custom PROM Dyno tuned
                      WCT-5 speed
                      BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
                      Boss MS 18" Rims
                      Custom Dual exhaust
                      1LE upgrade

Comment

Careful with that electric start clutch ring! Those Raptors have had that problem since day one and supposedly the new ones are still having them. Basically the starter clutch is a big ring (like on your auto flywheel) that only locks in one direction, and freewheels in the other. However, if you stop your motor by letting out the clutch (or stalling it) the motor can turn backward a little and destroy your starter and/or the starter clutch.

The 2nd gear was fixed after the 2001 model year so you shouldn't have problems with that.

Have a blast with it! I personally think Raptors are a bit top heavy and have too short of a wheelbase compared to a z400, 400ex, YFZ450 and 450R. I strongly prefer my z400 over the 450's because of the reverse and better low end torque for the woods. Top end is still around 70 in stock form on the z400's which puts them as fast or faster than a stock Raptor which I have seen measured by GPS anywhere from 66 to 75mph.

Comment

That's frickin awesome. I'm trying to decide on either a quad or a 125 2stroke dirtbike..
                          99 SS, MTI Lid, 3.90 gears, Hurst shifter, DMH 3" e-cutout

Comment

Working...
                          X