Fuel Pump Problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Pump Problems

I own a 1988 Pontiac GTA with the 5.7 TPI in it. I was involved in an accident a little while ago and ever since the accident the car will not start. I have the fuel pump wired to a switch right now so i can start it and drive it inside to outside the shop while i'm redoing it. I was just woundering if anyone would know why all of the sudden the car wouldn't start after the accident on its own, but will with a switch to the fuel pump. I don't know if there is an inertia switch somewhere on it even tho in my research i have not found one to be put in these cars. I have checked all fuses and the connection on the oil pressure sender just incase it came disconnected somehow. If anyone has any idea what could be wrong your info would be great. ( Oh and i did replace the fuel pump relay too. ) On this same vehicle I have problems with the low temp coolant fan not kicking on at all, i have replaced the motor and relays for it too. Any ideas on this too would be appreciated.
    1968 Firebird 400 4spd, soon to stroke the 400 to a 467 ( Bad Rod Bearing )
    1988 GTA 350TPI, Auto, ram air hood, ram air intake, 4th Gen rear spoiler, soon to come, headers, hypertech chip, fresh paint
    1994 GMC Sierra Z-71, underdrive pulleys, tbi spacer, headers, true dual exhuast with flowmaster 40's, hypertech chip ( My daily driver, Gas = OUCH!! )

do you happen to have electrical prints for it??? out of a haynes or a chilton?? could be a fuel pump relay. if you happened to have prints that you could scan and email me i can look them over and give you a better idea.

Sean

ok i just saw that you changed the relay duh...short attention span
    I'm out, like a fat kid in dodgeball

Comment

I have checked all fuses and the connection on the oil pressure sender just incase it came disconnected somehow.
      I'm very sorry to hijack your thread but why did you check the connection on the oil pressure sender? Does this have something to do with your fuel lines, and does anyone know if it is like this on an LT1?
      1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

On a TPI set up, and maybe throttle body too, i do not know for sure, if the computer does not recieve a signal from the oil pressure sender that there is oil pressure, it will not allow the fuel pump to kick on and let the engine start to protect from damaging the engine if there is no pressure.
        1988 GTA 350TPI, Auto, ram air hood, ram air intake, 4th Gen rear spoiler, soon to come, headers, hypertech chip, fresh paint
        1994 GMC Sierra Z-71, underdrive pulleys, tbi spacer, headers, true dual exhuast with flowmaster 40's, hypertech chip ( My daily driver, Gas = OUCH!! )

Comment

well its not on the tbi, my car has a rebuilt cammed 305 tbi motor(LO3) and when i did the oil change on it, car started up ran a couple seconds then the oil pressure went up.
          2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Still Curious

I was just woundering if anyone had anyother ideas of what else could be wrong or if they'd had past experiences with this problem, i've been working at it for the last couple days and have just become more and more frusturated because all I have to do is paint it and its ready to sell, i have all the new aftermarket parts for it and all thats left to do is install the headers, muffler and computer chip besides the paint. I want this problem fixed before i try to sell it but i guess if it comes down to it i'll just have to keep the switches for the fuel pump and cooling fans and hope it won't effect the price much.

Also, just woundering how much u would think this car could go for? It is a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA with the 350 TPI and digital dash with 140K miles on it. It will have new shorty headers, the ram air box and 93-97 style functional ram air hood from www.fbodymotorsports.com, the newer style trans am rear spoiler from there too, tranny has been rebuilt with a shift kit installed, all suspension is new parts, new tires, refinished wheels look like new, will have a fresh coat of torch red paint. Interior is in perfect conditon, power drivers seat and all other options. Just woundering what some of you would expect to get out of this for a price?? Thanx Alex

Comment

I have an 89 formula 350 and had the same problem. So i dropped the exaust, parts of the rear end, my tank that I had luckily just filled up, and replaced the fuel pump. Still nothing......... It was the damn fusable link right by the battery. 35 cent problem. Have you checked that yet?
              1999 Ram Air Trans Am. M6

SFC( not sure what kind), drilled/slotted rotors, K&N air filter, all free mods, 3" Borla cat back exaust, electric exaust cut out, NGK spark plugs, royal purple motor oil, and Zaino .Maybe more. I find more stuff done to it everytime I look at it.

Comment

Working...
              X