lt1 8.5mm plug wire installation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lt1 8.5mm plug wire installation

i just bought the msd 8.5 mm superconductor wire set and was wondering if there is any trick to getting them into the stock wire looms.

I put some MSD 8mm wires in about 2 years ago and I dont want to be the barrer of bad news but I wish I would have put the small diamater wires in. I did them along with a spark plug change and a header install. So I had some things out of the way and it still was a giant pain. The larger wires just didnt want to go in the stock looms. I finally did get them in with a bunch of swearing but I would recomend getting smaller wires. Unless someone here knows of larger looms you can put in. Good Luck.
    1997 30th Anniversary Z28. Artic White with Hugger Orange Stripes. T-Tops, K&N Cold Air Intake, Mac Headers & High Flow Cats,Flowmaster Cat Back. Auto W/B&M Shifter Plus. Drilled And Slotted Rotors. Steel Braded Brake Lines. Alpine CD/MP3, JL Audio Stealth Box.

Comment

I've heard of people taking a Dremel to the bracket on the front of the engine that has the grooves for the 4 passenger side wires. Beyone that, you can buy wire "separators" in a variety of sizes. It's going to be awful tight pushing the wires under the power steering bracket. I have the MSD 8.5's but my wire routing is "unconventional"

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
        I've heard of people taking a Dremel to the bracket on the front of the engine that has the grooves for the 4 passenger side wires. Beyone that, you can buy wire "separators" in a variety of sizes. It's going to be awful tight pushing the wires under the power steering bracket. I have the MSD 8.5's but my wire routing is "unconventional"

hey thanks for your input, what kind of setup do you have on your wires?

Comment

Optispark optical sensor feeds a MoTeC M48Pro engine mangement computer, which feeds a MoTeC IEX 8-channel ignition driver, which drives 8 LS1-style coils thru MSD 8.5mm SuperConductors to very cold plugs.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

heh i just did the wires and plugs on my 94 lt1 with headers yesterday couldnt get the #6 plug heh. the taylor 10.4 wires i dont recommend to anyone unless they have a ton of patience. i saw on slps site though they have a cutoff 5/8th socket i was thinking of getting my hacksaw out and making my own shorty lt1 spark plug socket heh

-chris

Comment

Working...
            X