noisy clutch on 94 m6

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noisy clutch on 94 m6

When starting from a stop I hear a medium pitch fast knocking grind. It is louder as I put more power on the clutch. Depending on how I drive it, it can be made to not happen at all, or if I hold the RPMs up and ride the clutch it can be loud and long. If provoked, the sound will remain for just a second after the clutch is fully released then stop. The clutch feels like it might have a very slight vibration in the pedal, but this could be normal. The clutch feels fine otherwise.

I think it could be the throw out bearing... or maybe a pilot bearing??? any ideas????

Tracy

BTW.. The oil leak repair project is well underway. I have the intake stripped and will drop it off to be tanked and blasted today. Should look like new once it is back together.

nobody has any ideas?

?

Comment

Sorry, I don't.

(I just didn't want you to think everyone was ignoring this.)
      Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

clutch noise

Well you are going to have to pull the tranny anyway, but at 130,000 miles my original GM clutch disc developed a crack that went between the spline bushing and one of the vibration springs. By the way the disc still had plenty of life left, if not for the crack!
        The Old Guy! '94 z-28, m-6, t-tops, go-fast red, 316k. Now with '96 engine w/ Lt-4 hot cam, roller rockers, heavy duty timing chain, and Spec stage 2 clutch.

Comment

Throwout bearings can cause that sound. They run out of grease and wear out and rattle. Remember to not rest your hand on the shifter (hard on synchros) and don't leave your foot on the clutch pedal or leave the clutch in for extended periods of time (wears out throwout).

Comment

upon further analysis, I believe the noise is the transmission. It is a geary, rattly sound. First gear only from a stop. It's pretty loud at times and not heard at all at other times. Also depends on how hard a load I put on it. I'm going to check/change the fluid and see if that makes a difference. If not, I'll have a guy from the local trans shop take a ride with me and see what he thinks.

Are there instructions on pullin out one of these things anywhere? I may have a winter project ahead of me. How hard is it to replace the guts of the first gear in the trans? I'm willing to try anything.

Oil leak update: Intake is back on after being hot tanked. Engine runs great and no more oil leaking!! Looks like brand new, too. Thanks for the help.

Tracy

Comment

newsflash!!!

I had an idea regarding this noise... is it the clutch or the trans??

I performed a test.

First I set the parking brake to prevent all movement of the tranny, then I put a load on the clutch in 1st. The car did not move, but it DID make the noise. Didn't matter what gear it was in either.

Conclusion, the noise is the clutch.... Unless it is possible for the trans to make noise without the unput shaft turning. I am, afterall placing load on the input shaft, but am not allowing it to rotate.

Does this make sense to everyone???

Tracy

Comment

Yep, and you still get to pull the tranny.

Its not too tough to pull, just getting it back in can be a pain, once it was hours of frustration, and once the tranny fell in like a magnet............just the luck of the tranny gods.
                The Old Guy! '94 z-28, m-6, t-tops, go-fast red, 316k. Now with '96 engine w/ Lt-4 hot cam, roller rockers, heavy duty timing chain, and Spec stage 2 clutch.

Comment

I get the same sound in first gear as well. I found that if you keep the rpms constant and below 1500 on take off it will stop. The sound kind of freaked me out so I tried to do a little research on it and found that many on the lt1tech.com forum are having the same problem. One guy says that he thinks the synchros in 1 are going out.
                  94' Formula, T-56, Moroso CAI

Comment

If it is indeed the same sound mine makes, it cannot be the synchros. Test yours... set the parking brake and put a load on the driveline.... does it make the sound?? it it does, it can't be the trans because the input shaft is not rotating. Check it out and let me know.

Comment

Working...
                    X